chrisneff

WRT54GS compatible with windows 2000 professional?

The box DOES say (in the smallest font that appears) the installation CD and Trend trial are xp and vista only, and I find here on the site that there is no firmware for windows 2000 on this model, so I guess I'm just supposed to get the hint after screwing around with this for 4 hours, and take my happy arse the return line of a crowded department store.  Thanks.

Tried the "24 hour" Technical support line - no humans there.  I did go thru the automated help very carefully.  I purchased a Linksys hoping I would get a better product and better service than with Netgear - which was downright awful on both counts. 
richard804

Re: WRT54GS compatible with windows 2000 professional?

You have to configure your router manually.
Disconnect the cable leading from modem to computer and connnect to the internet port of the router.  Connect the supplided cable from port 1 of the router and to the ethernet port on your computer.
Log on to your router using 192.168.1.1 using the address bar from your Internet Explorer.  If you don't see the login page, disconnect your modem from the router and try again.
Leave the username blank and use admin for password.  You should be on setup page.  If you had to disconnect modem, change the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 then click on save on bottom of page. Reconnect modem. 
Close this page and try connecting to the Internet.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
chrisneff

I greatly appreciate the reply dispite my grumpy-ness in the original message.  I performed those exact instructions prior to my post last night with the help of the automated techical support, and it did not work.  I do have confidence that with further assistance we could get the router working, but I am wondering if I should continue since firmware upgrades are not available for win 2000 prof.?   Thank you for your time and I do wish you a pleasant day :smileyhappy:
richard804

The updates would be for the router not windows 2000.  Lets start at the beginning. Are you using DSL or Cable Broadband?  It will not work on Dial-up.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
ridcully

Let me know are you using Linksys Adapter or any other Brand Adapter ??
Try creating new profile so that connection will be more stable ....
chrisneff

Do you mean ethernet adapter?  In the device manager  I find it is a 3com.  I have no idea how to create a new profile.
chrisneff

I understand the updates are for the router!  I'm saying i can't get firmware updates on this computer because it is running windows 2000.  I had tried to download the firmware update from the Linksys site and I got a message about it not being compatable with the opertating system on my computer.  Do you understand my question now?

I am on Embarq DSL service.  I'm not sure if they use static or dynamic ip's.