ktobiano

WRT54GS configured as Repeater

I have a 2wire modem/router.  I need to boost the signal by configuring my WRT54GS as a repeater.  I've been reading various posts all day but I know enough about networking to be very dangerous.  There are so many configuration options that it gets confusing.

Can someone please offer specific configuration instructions for my Linksys WRT54GS?  I tried doing it on my own but I don't know what IP address goes where.

Thanks for your help!!

Karen
Badboy

Re: WRT54GS configured as Repeater

hi !
         If u have 2 WRT54GS .......router 1(main router) & router 2 (repeater)  then on router 2 disable the DHCP & changed the local ip to 192.168.1.2 .....do the wireless setting both on the router 1 & router 2.... run a cable from port number 1,2,3 or 4  of router 1 to the port number 1,2,3 or 4 of router 2 !
                                 Then do a powercycle for the network ! It should be working a repeater then ! :smileywink:

Hi, No like I said -  I have a 2wire modem/router and a Linksys WRT54GS.  I've seen these instructions before, however for someone like me (as I wrote before) I need more specific instructions about wireless settings and IP addresses.  I did find where to disable the DHCP but the WRT54GS has so many various configuration settings that I get confused. Please don't think I actually know exactly what I'm doing... I live in the middle of nowhere and don't know of anyone locally who can come out and do this for me.

Furthermore, the 2 routers are nowhere near each other and cannot be connected by a cable

I need someone who is able to tell me stuff like ...

"Go to the Basic Setup Page, select Automaticall assign (or whatever it says) OR Select Static IP, enter this in the IP address box, this in the subnetmask box, this in the default gateway box (and so on).  At the bottom of the page disable the DHCP.  Next click on the Wireless Settings tab and enter the following information...." 

Do you see what I need?  Basically I am BEGGING someone to hold my hand and walk me through it. 

If there isn't someone here on the Linksys forum that can do that with me, can you please suggest a forum where I might be able to have someone do this with me?
ktobiano

I just got off the line with Linksys and they guarantee me that setting up my wrt54gs as a wireless repeater is not possible.  My question is if I do wire my wrt to my 2wire modem/router, it will have to be in the same location... I do not have the capability of putting it anywhere else... so - will it increase my signal if the two are sitting right on top of each other?

Can someone please help me?  I'm in dire straits and need to get my office online. 

At this point I'd be happy purchasing a repeater, but I've no idea where to begin my search for a high quality unit.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!  Karen
ktobiano

I'm very disappointed - my thread is not the only one that has gone unresolved.  These forums are the only place that many of us have to learn.
Expert
Expert

The WRT does not work as repeater. It is a broadband router. It requires a wired internet connection. Wireless clients connect to the router. The router does not connect to another router wireless for an internet connection. It does not repeat. At least with stock firmware.

You may check if you can install a 3rd party firmware on the router. Read the wikipedia article on "WRT54G" for a start. Have a closer look at the dd-wrt wiki which is more extensive. 3rd party firmware may allow you to configure the router as repeater.

Otherwise you have to wire the WRT to your main router. With a wired connection you are able to create a roaming network. That has nothing to do with a repeater. A repeater receives a wireless transmission and repeats it to extend the wireless coverage. A repeater is more or less standalone and does not need wired connections. With a wired connection you can setup an additional base station. This is preferable in most situations as it does not slow down your wireless network like a repeater does.

If it is possible to run a wire between your main router and the WRT you can setup the WRT as access point. See here for instructions how to connect the routers. It is exactly what badboy suggested.

For a wireless roaming network all access points should have identical wireless settings, i.e. identical SSID (network name, default "linksys" which you should have changed to something unique) and identical wireless encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA2) with the identical keys/passphrase. Only the channels of the access points should be at least 5 channels apart to avoid overlapping. For example choose 1 & 6.

With these settings wireless clients can freely roam between both routers. Or better, they should be able to. Some clients have difficulties with roaming. You should not move those as long as you are connected.
ktobiano

Thank you for the response.  Had wiring been an option...  I ended up purchasing a repeater and all seems well for now. 
harry saina

to use a linlsys router as a repeater can not be done as per linksys co.how ever you can get on ebay or off of ciso a linksys range extender.or you can get a linksys wrt54g router that has been flashed with dd-wrt software,which is legal.a lot of people are buying linksys routers and chaneing the linksys software allowing them more useage of the router.to find out more you can go to dd-wrt.com  or go to wiki and get infoe

harry saina