mobybit

WRT54GS firmware upgrade

I have a WRT54GS v5 that I can't get upgraded.  I am connected to it wireless and I navigate to the "Administration, Firmware Upgrade" page and fill in the "Please select a file to upgrade" field with "WRT54GS-v5v6_1.52.5.002_fw.bin" and click the "Upgrade" button.  The progress meter (which looks like a blank text entry field just above the "Upgrade must NOT be interrupted !" message line) fills a couple of times and then the page fails to refresh the 2nd time (after the progress meter has filled the 2nd time).  I can navigate back (via browser url address field) to the main WRT54GS webadmin page and thence to the "Status" page where I find that the same (not upgraded) version is noted - v1.50.5 .  I've tried this procedure about four time and I'm pretty sure that I can repeat this forever without getting the firmware to upgrade to v1.52.5.002 .  What am I doing wrong ???
toomanydonuts

Re: WRT54GS firmware upgrade

Your problem is that you are trying to do it wirelessly.   You must do firmware upgrades by ethernet cable. 

Attempting to upgrade firmware wirelessly is very dangerous to your router.  You are lucky that you have not bricked (killed) your router, by trying to do a wireless firmware upgrade.
mobybit

[ Edited ]

toomanydonuts wrote:
Your problem is that you are trying to do it wirelessly.   You must do firmware upgrades by ethernet cable.

That sounds plausible.

I downloaded WRT54GS_UG_WEB_20070529.pdf and read the section on upgrading (Chap. 3, pg 19). There is no mention of a prohibition against wireless upgrade.

I'll try a wired upgrade.

Thanks.

Message Edited by mobybit on 08-12-2008 10:16 AM
great_white

I will also suggest you to upgrade the software from http://linksys.com/download ,,,,,,
mobybit

It seems to be conventional wisdom that firmware upgrade should be done via wired connection ... but as previously noted this 'requirement' is not mentioned in WRT54GS_UG_WEB_20070529.pdf (Chap. 3, pg 19).

However, I did discover later in the release notes (WRT54GS-v5v6_v1.52.5.002_fw_ver.txt) this proviso :

"Disconnect all wireless clients from the router during the upgrade process. Make sure no wireless clients attempt to associate with the router until the upgrade process is complete."

That's a curious requirement since there is no way to disable the 802.11 radio or otherwise prevent wireless activity in the WRT54GS v5.

So, after trying the upgrade via a wired connection I have had the same results as mentioned in the OP !

There's really no technical reason that an upgrade via wireless shouldn't work the same as via wired. The connection medium is only used to transfer the firmware file ... and any properly designed router should be able to do that via wire or radio.  If experience shows that there is a problem upgrading via wireless then it means that the WRT54GS v5 doesn't have enough memory to manage wireless sessions and buffer the new firmware for the flash write and reboot.

I've concluded that the WRT54GS v5 is just about the worst piece of BOLLIXED product that works only barely enough to concede that it's not a complete consumer fraud. It's really an offense against the hobbyist (presuming that hobbyists might tolerate the wasted time to deal with junk like this) ; anyone else (with a professional interest or business stake) will not be using Linksys or will somehow have identified which Linksys products are industrial strength.

I'm inclined to swear off Linksys, not because they don't make any good products, but because you can't tell which ones are a work of minimalist c.o.g. & funtion based on the model name. You have to read reams of web articles to figure out that hardware version X (v5 in the case of the WRT54GS) is a gutted shadow of what was a decent product in previous hardware versions.

jonathannc

Quote"

There's really no technical reason that an upgrade via wireless shouldn't work the same as via wired. The connection medium is only used to transfer the firmware file ... and any properly designed router should be able to do that via wire or radio.  If experience shows that there is a problem upgrading via wireless then it means that the WRT54GS v5 doesn't have enough memory to manage wireless sessions and buffer the new firmware for the flash write and reboot."

its standard protocol to use wired connection for any  FW upgrade unless stated....... I'll not waste my time to explain as you clearly don't understand what you are doing based on the following quote"That's a curious requirement since there is no way to disable the 802.11 radio or otherwise prevent wireless activity in the WRT54GS v5."

well in the wirelessnetwork mode option select disabled, simple.

I find these units solid , reliable and very versatile having installed hundreds.

Expert
sabretooth

Uh... 4 year old thread.