rice2999

WRT54GS2 v1 cannot obtain IP address from my cable modem

I got my new WRT54GS2 router from newegg.com today. (It is refurbished, BTW, for $22.99).

My PC can talk to the router and finish setup. The router is connected to my cable modem, but get no IP address from my modem. Router status page shows 0.0.0.0 for WAN IP address. I have tried many times, to reset/reboot the router and modem many times, renew/release DHCP address many times on the router status page, no use.

The things are:

1. My other wireless router (Rosewill RNX-EasyN400, which I am planning to replace with this new router) can get IP from my cable modem without problem

2. WRT54GS2 can actually connect to the Rosewill RNX-EasyN400 router as a client, and can obtain a good IP address from it. The WRT54GS2 works this way, but I certainly cannot run two routers this way.

This problem looks like a hardware problem. In fact, it is exactly like my other very old router which retired last year, replaced by the Rosewill RNX-EasyN400,  after getting this very same problem after 6 years

I am very disappointed with the quality of this linksys router, even though what I bought is a refurbished one, carrying 3 months warranty.

I hope someone here can help me to solve it, or the router has to go back to newegg.com.

Klatch

Re: WRT54GS2 v1 cannot obtain IP address from my cable modem

If your Internet Service Provider is Cable follow this link

rice2999

Klatch, thanks very much for your reply.

That guide is about using MAC clone. I didn't need to use MAC clone for my other routers, and I guess my ISP does not require it at all.

Anyway, I will give it a try later.

Klatch

Well for most of the Cable ISP, you need to do MAC add Clone on your Router. As you have mentioned that you don't need to do the MAC add clone on your router, but then also you can give a try and once are you done with all the configuration settings on your Router, then unplug the power from the router and modem, wait for 30sec and then first plug the power to the modem and once all the lights are solid then plug the power to the linksys router.

Then check if you are able to go online from your computers which are connected to Linksys Router.

rice2999

The power cycle procedure worked for me. Thanks very much.