Highlighted

WRT600N and static DNS

On my old WRT54G, if I setup a static DNS server to point to my local Linux box, that's what all my DHCP clients get. However, I've noticed that on WRT600N, my DHCP clients are pushed the addresses of my ISP DNS servers (two of them), followed by WRT600N local IP address, followd by the static DNS address I configured.

On example, here's what my DHCP clients were sent by WRT54G:

Here's what WRT600N (configured exactly the same as WRT54G was) sends to them:

Obviously, this is bad. If I configured the static DNS address, then I obviously have a reason for doing so, and that address should be the only one (or at least the first one) that DHCP clients will get (otherwise, there's not much point in having that option in router's configuration). Is there any way to force WRT600N to behave like WRT54G used to?

Re: WRT600N and static DNS

Our WRT600N displayed this problem too. I was never able to find a way to get it not to send the router's own IP as one of the DNS servers to the DHCP clients. It seems to always send the DNS servers from the Internet Setup section, followed by the router's own IP address, followed by any static DNS server IPs set in the DHCP server section. We tried upgrading to the latest firmware but this bug was still present. The annoying thing is that it leads to very intermittent problems for Windows boxes relying on the WRT600N for DHCP.

I have the same problem with my wrt600n, and in fact joined another thread on this very subject. To date Linksys/Cisco has offered zero solution to this problem. Very annoying.

you cannot just assign a static DNS server on the router, because the DNS server that it's sending is valid and from your isp itself, if evcer you have a static account from isp then that's the time where you can force the router to use a static ip address

Oddly enough you *could* assign static DNS with the wrt54g(s). Why the change?

maui29111 wrote:
you cannot just assign a static DNS server on the router, because the DNS server that it's sending is valid and from your isp itself, if evcer you have a static account from isp then that's the time where you can force the router to use a static ip address

Actually, no. Even if you are using DHCP to obtain an IP address, there is nothing preventing you from configuring DNS servers manually (using static DNS servers). DHCP is not all or nothing. You are free to use DHCP to obtain IP address, and override addresses of DNS servers (or any other info).

Here's an example of such usage. Linksys router acts as Internet gataway (using DHCP to obtain external IP address from ISP). It also acts as DHCP server for local clients. I have a DNS server on my local network. This DNS server is used to resovle the names of the hosts on my local network, and it also acts as caching DNS to resolve names of the hosts on the Internet. Hence, I do not wish Linksys router to send my ISP's DNS server to clients on local network. I want it to send the address of my local DNS server.

On WRT54G this configuration was possible. You just enter static addresses of your DNS server, and it would send those to the DHCP client, instead of forwarding ISP's DNS servers. WRT600N doesn't allow this type of configuration.

On my old 802.11b Linksys router, it used to work correctly. The static DNS I entered would be the primary on every PC that connected via DHCP and then it would use my ISP's DNS servers as the second and third DNS Servers.

The workaround I'm using for now is to manually configure the DNS Servers on each of my PCs. Here are the steps for anyone who needs them.

1. Go to a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd)
2. Type: ipconfig /all
3. Record your DNS Servers (you'll need these ip addresses for a later step)
4. Go to your network settings (start > settings > control panel > network connections > [adapter to be configured]) > Properties
5. Select "Internet Protocol" > Properties
6. Click the radio button "Use the following DNS server addresses"
7. Enter the static DNS address you want as the "Preferred DNS server" and then add the first ISP DNS server as the "Alternate". You can also click on "Advanced" and enter additional DNS Servers if you want a third. You can also set the order on the Advanced screen.

Hope this helps until a fix is issued. I agree, the Static DNS feature is useless unless it makes the static DNS entries the primary.

I too have the same problem!

I have a stand alone DHCP server on my network. The DHCP server on the WRT600N is disabled in the GUI, but it keeps turning itself on after a few hours and messing up my internal network.

I have tried hard resetting the router to factory defaults (30 Sec reset switch) and also re-flashed the latest firmware a couple of times with a hard reset included.

I can't believe Linksys/Cisco is putting out such *%$# firmware. I am very close to returning the WRT600N and getting another WRT54Gx.

I just bought the WRT600N today. I have the same problem. The router does not use the static DNS I want. There does not seem to be a solution. I think I will return it to the store.

[ Edited ]

A temporary solution would be to set your DNS IPs of choice directly on the NIC of your computer(s).

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance. Thank you for your understanding.)

Message Edited by giantherockstar on 05-28-2008 05:32 PM