zilonox

WRT600nv1 Router Disappears from Network

I just got a WRT600N (v1.0) router and I'm having some issues getting it to work on my home network.

I have DSL service from AT&T with a 2wire 2701HG-B wireless gateway. What I would like to do is have the WRT600N act as a wireless access point (as well as provide connectivity to my wired components and a USB RAID array). I can *kind of* get it to work, but there's deffinately an issue.

To set it up, I disconnected my desktop from the old router (a WRT54GS) and plugged it into one of the orange ethernet ports on the WRT600N. After a few moments, I can log into the router and change the settings (turn off DHCP,  assign a static IP (192.168.1.250, to be exact), set the default DNS to the modem's IP (192.168.1.254) and change the login password). Everything's kosher at this point. When I save the settings, it tells me the page will reload in 45 seconds. However, 45 seconds later, the page tries to refresh, but fails to load.

I figure that's because maybe the desktop can't directly access the router any more since I turned off DHCP. No big deal, I think, so I connect the router to the modem by plugging the ethernet cable into another of the orange ports. After doing a /release - /renew from the command prompt with ipconfig, my desktop has access to the internet.

All's well and good at this point, right? Wrong. It's here that the WRT600N disappears from the network. The modem doesn't see that an IP address has been assigned to it, though it can see my desktop and laptop. When I try to log into the WRT600N, any browser I use (IE6, Chrome 2, or FF3) says the page cannot be found. Pinging the IP from a dos prompt results in 4 time outs. It's like the router doesn't even exist anymore and is simply acting as a pass through device for the internet to my desktop.

At this point, the only way to regain access to the router is through the 30/30/30 reset procedure. But then, I'm right back to where I started from and the same thing happens no matter how often I go through the steps. I havent even tried to connect my network printer or the USB RAID device to the router yet.

I've been at this for a week now and have scowered the net looking for an answer. No one else seems to have this exact problem though, so I'm pretty much stuck with (what I feel like is) a pretty useless piece of equipment. I had the WRT54GS working flawlessly under this same environment and am beginning to think I should just stick with it. (The WRT600N was cheap (I'm beginning to understand why) and my laptop has a N wireless card, which is why I am interested in getting this to work.)

If it helps, my desktop is running XP Pro SP3 and my laptop is running Vista Home Premium. 

Any thoughts on the matter?

peanuts

Re: WRT600nv1 Router Disappears from Network

So you want to use your Linksys router as an access point Mode.... Where your Main Router will be 2Wire and the Linksys router.

There are certain rules which you need to follow to make your 2nd Router work as an Swtich to your 1 Rotuer. Follow this link and it will give all the instruction how to make this both the routers work with each other. 

zilonox

Yes, I have followed those directions, which is what I was trying to say in my post. The thing is, when I follow those directions, the WRT600N just completely disappears from the network. I can't ping it, I can't log into it's built in managment tool, and the DSL modem (which has it's own built in, web baed management tool) does not see it as a point on the network and does not show an IP address for it (like it does for the laptop and the desktop). I would ask if this was normal, but the WRT54GS I had set up in the same configuration did not act this way.

Any other thoughts?

peanuts

If you setup your Linksys router in the Swtich Mode, then also you should be able to login to the Router setup page using the IP address which you have setup on your Router.. Once you done with the settings then Power Cycle the complete network.

Power Cycle means turn-off all the networking devices and then turn it ON back again in an order.