knutsen

WRT610N (1.00.03 B15 firmware) SPI Firewall blocks Bonjour (Apple TV) from wireless LAN

I've had a frustrating time trying to replace my old WRT54GP2 with a new WRT610N. The main point of the exercise was to provide a dedicated 5GHz Wireless N-only network for my Apple TV device. After a firmware update (1.00.03 B15 firmware, just out), a hard reset, and a full configuration, everything worked fine except that iTunes on my wired Mac couldn't reliably see the Apple TV. All else about the network was fine, including the Apple TV's ability to get on the Internet. A wired connection to the Apple TV worked, too, but that's not a long-term option in the living room.

After much experimentation, I finally disabled "SPI Firewall Protection", and that seems to have done the trick. The "Bonjour Browser" tool ( http://www.tildesoft.com/Programs.html ) shows that the Apple TV's service advertisement is reliably available, whereas before it was not. The Apple TV remains listed in iTunes' Devices pane, whereas before it would disappear within minutes of rebooting the router.

So, I'm left with two questions:

1. Why should this be necessary? I thought the firewall was supposed to be inspecting traffic from the Internet port, not the local LAN.
  2. Is the router still providing basic firewalling comparable to my old one? The "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests" etc. checkboxes have not been greyed out.
knutsen

Re: WRT610N (1.00.03 B15 firmware) SPI Firewall blocks Bonjour (Apple TV) from wireless LAN

I spoke too soon. The connection lasted for almost four hours, but then the Apple TV disappeared from iTunes (and Bonjour Browser) again. Terribly annoying. Any suggestions?

helm

Re: WRT610N (1.00.03 B15 firmware) SPI Firewall blocks Bonjour (Apple TV) from wireless LAN

Re-adjust the wireless settings on your Router...

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
- Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on save settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select AES...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 >>Click on "Save Settings"...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

knutsen

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. However, my problem was not with the integrity of the wireless network, which performed flawlessly in the 5GHz band for the Apple TV surfing the Internet (movie trailers and YouTube video, for example) and during the times when it was communicating with my Mac (synchronizing gigabytes of video). Likewise, the 2.4GHz band worked just fine for my laptop and iPhone.

My problem was that Bonjour traffic in particular (which I understand to be multicast DNS) was unreliable at best between the wireless and wired portions of the LAN. This was made very clear by use of the Bonjour Browser.

I have given up on the WRT610N and returned it for a refund. I've replaced it with my old WRT54GP2, and the connection between iTunes and my Apple TV is once again solid and reliable. I think I'll give Apple's wireless N offering a try.

Pedro Alonso

installing the v2 firmware on my v1 wrt610n fixed my bonjour issues. i was having the same problems and now they are gone with the v2 firmware installed.

I know that normally you should only install a firmware meant for your hardware however since onthers on the net were succesfully installing it, i thought i'd give it a try to see if my issues would get fixed.  bonjour is back. Apple remote now works very well and reliably.

i reported an issue with lynksys support. i suggest others do the same so they can log the issue and fix the firmware for v1.

knutsen

> installing the v2 firmware on my v1 wrt610n fixed my bonjour issues

Interesting. Thanks for the update; it's nice to know I wasn't the only one with those problems.

According to this thread, the problem may have been with the then-new 1.00.03 B15 firmware, to which I dutifully upgraded before doing anything else.

That was two months ago. I have since given my business to Apple, and since the solution you propose is not officially supported, I suppose I'm glad I did. Their dual-band Airport Express Just Works.

jericoc

I'm dealing with same issues. On iPhone.

The temporary fix is, to Close out your pairing app or discovery app (both sides)

go back to your router settings: Security

Re-enable - SPI firewall - save changes.

Disable - SPI firewall - save changes.

Launch your application

I'm on Firmware Version: 1.00.03 B15

WRT610n

So, even though you've technically already disabled it. Re-enable and Disable is needed.

jericoc

Upgrade to V2 - confirmed.  (Even if your hardware is v1)

This corrects the SPI issues - bonjour for iPhone or Apple TV.

shaky-leg

I am having the same issue with my AppleTV dropping out of iTunes. It stays connected to the net for purchases but drops off of iTunes. I just  happened to stumble on the SPI setting thing a few months ago and told Apple about it. I've tried everything except V2. Well we'll give it a shot. Hope this works because this has been a thorn in my side man.

shaky-leg

OK, it's been nearly 24 hours with no problems AppleTV is still in iTunes with no drop out. I've done alot of system use,..all network based: DirecTV whole home DVR, PS3, Vudu, AppleTV, HTC Evo on wifi and no drop out problem with AppleTV and iTunes. This looks like the fix people. Go V2!