WRT610N doesn't detect USB hard disk

[ Edited ]

Please check this thread:

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=136301

This problem is not solved at all 

Hi, I'm on the same situation. I own a WRT610N router and it detected my Western Digital 1TB usb disk until I upgraded to the latest router firmware.

Now the USB doesn't detect any usb storage device.

Is there any plan to release a new firmware to resolve this issues?

=========================================================================== 
I bumped this one because it is far from solved.

The 2nd firmware release degrades this product to a cheap wireless router. Many extra functions like connecting USB do not work.

Can we please please please have a firmware update.

Should not be that difficult because the code in the 1st version of the firmware worked perfect!

Message Edited by D13H4rdNL on 07-07-2009 10:46 AM
Message Edited by D13H4rdNL on 07-07-2009 10:46 AM
Message Edited by D13H4rdNL on 07-07-2009 10:49 AM
Message Edited by D13H4rdNL on 07-07-2009 10:49 AM
Message Edited by D13H4rdNL on 07-07-2009 10:50 AM

Re: WRT610N doesn't detect USB hard disk

As you have already upgraded the firmware of your Router and now its not able to detect your USB harddrive. May be in this case you can try to Degrade the firmware of your Router with the Older Version. Click Here to download the older version of firmware... i think this might solve the problem.

Of course it doesn't.

My motto: don't change anything if it ain't broken.

There was a reason to move away from the old firmware: wireless connectivity issues.

I tried the hard reset and flash sequence as advised by the DD-WRT team:

1. DO A HARD RESET *BEFORE AND AFTER* YOU FLASH FIRMWARE. This does not mean hitting the reset button and saying you are done. This means doing the 30-30-30 reset. To do a 30-30-30 reset you must push the reset button with your router powered on. Hold it for 30 seconds with the router powered on. STILL holding it, pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Still holding it, plug the router back in. You will have held the button for a full 90 seconds without releasing it.

After you have done this, if you haven't been asked to change your password when you login to the webgui,(presuming you are using a build newer than 9707, June 14, 2008 to flash with when the auto reconfig password was introduced) you haven't done the hard reset properly.

This is not a minor optional step. The firmware writes information to the Nvram. This step clears that information. If you don't clear it properly, parts of the old information be present with the new firmware, which can make it not operate properly. Don't cut corners. Doing it before you upgrade can be very important; a hard reset is not just for after upgrades.

The proper process
for flashing when upgrading firmware is:

a. Hard reset prior to flashing. Wait. Check for password page on re-login and change password.

b. Flash firmware. You can use the webgui except if you have a belkin router.

c. Wait...at least three minutes. Lights should return to normal. Failing to wait is how most people brick their routers.

d. Do a power cycle of the router. Unplug the cord, count to 30 and plug it back in.

e. Wait for the lights to return to normal usually about 2 minutes.

f. HARD reset again. Wait. Check for the password page and re-login to change the password. Then you can reconfigure your setttings manually.

Then I connected the USB disk and waited for 10 minutes before going to the "Storage" page.

DIDN'T WORK Smiley Sad

Any Linksys technician on this forum who can give us a little insight?

[ Edited ]

peanuts wrote:
As you have already upgraded the firmware of your Router and now its not able to detect your USB harddrive. May be in this case you can try to Degrade the firmware of your Router with the Older Version. Click Here to download the older version of firmware... i think this might solve the problem.

I agree with the previous answer as well, that downgrading is not the answer. The old firmware didn't support any codecs, so using it as a UPnP media server was worthless anyway. I need the codecs in the second firmware, and the connectivity of ... well the promise on the side of the box when I bought it.
Message Edited by Everman on 07-12-2009 06:35 PM

I have this problem as well and it needs to be solved ASAP. 

As you can see by other threads, many people are having this problem.  They are just posting with different titles.  One person actually labeled "Downgrade Firmware" as the solution.  =P

I've had the WRT610N for about a month.  I just purchased a WD 1TB Elements USB HD and of course is isn't seen by the router because I updated the firmware a few weeks ago!

C'mon Linksys!!!

I sure hope they are working on it.  Their last rev was January, so they are due!

Has anyone actually called support on this?  I have seen so many threads on it, I don't remember if anyone specifically said they had done so.  I might have to...