daal50

WRT610N - heat problem

My new WRT601N router stops at irregular intervals with its wireless operation. The wired part works, but no wireless signal at all. It seems a heating problem because when I switch the unit off for some time, it works again. The ambient temperature is low (17 C) - but the router feels very warm.

No high intensity of traffic (just 2 internet/email laptops) - firmware is latest version - wireless paramaters standard.

castor

Re: WRT610N - heat problem

I hope you must have tried this :

Try to Reset the Router and re-configure it...
1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for
another 30 Seconds.
3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button
for 30 Seconds.
4. Release the reset button.
Re-configure the router...
Also you can try to Flash the Firmware of your Router...Also try to change the Wireless Parameters.

daal50

Hi Castor,

Thank you very much. Indeed changing the wireless parameters did help as good as swithcing the device of for half an hour. Strange.

Do you think it has something to do with heat or is it something else?

I need a reliable router in my small offcie and thought that Linksys should deliver that. But I start to doubt my choice. 

Thanks again.

kahunamike

It's been awhile since anyone posted to this thread but I wanted to add to what seems like a serious problem (at least with the WRT610N unit I have right now).  After having trouble with the router all day, I spent an hour with technical support who finally set me with with a RMA.  Here's the issue I've had and my temporary workaround while waiting for replacement.

Out of the box and with the 1.00.02.10 Linksys firmware, the router hangs when any sort of load goes through the router.  Transfering a 1GB file to my NAS server hangs after less than 100MB and immediately when trying to surf a webpage while transfering.  This happens over wireless G, wireless N and even wired connections.  Just surfing over wireless G hangs the router as well with no large data transfer.  And by "hanging", the power light blinks blue and everything is non-responsive.

After reading about some speculations about heating issues, I set the WRT610N on top of a laptop cooler with the USB cord plugged into the back of the router, supplying power to the cooler fans that point directly up.  With this setup, the router is as stable as can be the last 3 hours of constant data on both wireless bands and transfering large files.  Obviously, this isn't a long term solution but point to some QC issues or a design flaw.  If stuck with this router, this workaround may work for you.

NVLAV8R

Yup, its a heat issue.  Had the EXACT same problems, dropped links, etc.  Used a Laptop cooler as well...(suggest one with it's own power supply)...and it works great.  No heat=no issues.  Poor case design is the main problem.
DM1956

My WRT610N dropped both wired & wireless connection with a need of a cold reboot approximately every 2 minutes until I bought Plexus Mobile Notebook Cooling stand which fits perfectly to the size of the router and is fed via router's USB. Unfortunately, applying for LINKSYS tech support is void - sure they know about the overheating problem but will never confirm it...
Bouchardf

NVLAV8R wrote:
Yup, its a heat issue.  Had the EXACT same problems, dropped links, etc.  Used a Laptop cooler as well...(suggest one with it's own power supply)...and it works great.  No heat=no issues.  Poor case design is the main problem.
I found a really good cooling solution that isn't taking a lot of place. It's the Targus Netbook Chill Mat for mini Laptop. This little thing come with a usb cable to get its power but you can easily replace this by a 5v adapter. This thing keep my router at really decent cool temperature, increase its lifetime and decreases the Wi-Fi failures.
Note: I only found this cooler on the Canadian site of Targus, the US version seems a bit bigger. (CAN 9.76"x7.16" vs US 11.75" x 9")