Highlighted
Accepted Solution

WRT610N speed degradation

[ Edited ]

IT pro with a new WRT610N router - Firmware Version: 2.00.00 B05

Internet connection is a 30Mb cable modem and I have two gigabit hard-wired connections to the WRT610N along with two 100Mb wired connections and several wireless devices.  I'm using MAC address filtering and WPA-2 on both bands.  I am having NO problems with the wireless, in fact, it's performing better than I expected.

HOWEVER, my internet connection on wireless AND wired connections from the router degrade in speed from 25-30Mb down to about 5Mb on a daily basis.  If I simply reboot the WRT610N, the connection speed shoots right back up to 30Mb every time - this leads me to believe that the WRT610N is the culprit here.  I don't have any special settings other than a couple of ports forwarded to my desktop machine and I see no errant TCP connections when these speed degradations occur.  Even a reboot of the PC has no effect.  This is all in the router, it would seem.

I would appreciate any suggestions you all might have in this matter - as I find it difficult to believe I am the only person with these symptoms.  I have been using Linksys and Cisco equipment for many years and have never had an issue. 

Please let me reiterate - this is NOT a problem with my wireless, so don't suggest things like disabling MAC filtering and the like - this is specific to the overall connection speed to the internet through the WRT610N via wired AND wireless connections.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Re: WRT610N speed degradation

Disregard, folks... I found the culprit! 

That silly "Home Network Defender" is apparently ON by default.

Problem solved.

I got the same problem. And i tried your solutionen, but after a day on it reduces my speed from my operator. its very strange.

I responded to a similar message you posted from sometime in October, unfortunately it's not Home Defender. Home Defender did stop a slowdown I had within the network, but the degradation still occurs after a few days. Especially if you do a lot of streaming - which I do using Hulu, Boxee and a Netflix streaming device I have.

Really frustrating. 

Count me as another with the speed degradation problem.

I have Shaw Extreme Cable and can see speeds of up to 20mps d/l (speedtest.net).

I'm running an iMac and a Windows 7 PC (gigabit hardwired), and 3 laptops wirelessly (usually just 2 running).

The speeds on my wired machines drop down below 1mps when the laptops are on.

If i connect my router right to the imac, I'm back up over 20. Reconnect to the router, and I'm at 20 for a couple minutes and then right back down.

Wondering if there's any truth to something I read that running both the 2.4 and 5.0 slows down the wired connections (for whatever reason) and if it's possible to turn off the 2.4?

Frustration doesn't cover it - I'm almost ready to go back to dial up!

thx,

Sorry - should add some details - running V1 - firmware 1.00.03 B15.

All cables are Cat 6.

Modem is Motorola SB5100.

Anything else, just let me know.

thx...

I noticed the same problem with my new WRT610N.  A reset always fixes the problem, for a day.  I never had this problem with my WRT310

Running windows 7 released version.

I have the same problem.  This router seems very unstable.  After a reset I get download speeds of 20Mbs(very good) .  After several hours the speed decreases to 5-6 Mbps.  If I go into the Set-up and make any kind of change and hit SAVE , the router resets and I'm back to the fast downloads.  This is very frustrating and requires constant monitoring.  I've also lost my setup parameters once and have had to re-configure.  Again this is not a wireless problems, this in over the wired LAN.  I have disabled Home Network Defender and have changed the MTU settings. Each time I make a change and save the settings the download speeds go up to over 20Mbs and then gradually decrease during the day. This thread has been marked with a Problems Solved flag.  This problems is in no way solved.

I've posted a similar problem if not the exact same problem with mine.......although I'm at 6 mbps and dropping down to below 2....  I did fix the problem and have been solid for a week now....   My setup is  for Qwest DSL where my DSL come into a Actiontec M1000 Modem/Router.....then I connect that to my 610......   Simply renewing releasing and renewing the IP fixed the problem - but obviously a pain to that every day.....  So on the suggestion of a friend - I switch all control and PPOe to my router.......   Before, the Actiontec was setup for PPOe with my password and user name.....I changed the Modem/Router (Actiontec) to pass through to my Linksys and then setup my Linksys Router to handle the password on the front page by selecting PPOe and entering my password and username......now it is rock solid....  My guess is this problem resides between the two components and for some reason there is a conflict with the IP between the Actiontec and the Linksys.......so by moving total control to my Linksys and passing it through the Actiontec.......it fixes the problem.........  This also was the case with my 310n which I returned for the 610n......Linksys said to take it back......but 2 bad ones was not likely......so IMO this is a Linksys wide issue....

I hope Linksys looking into this,. I have tried to talk to there support and noone havent help me Smiley Sad I have called them twice and they havent call me back yet.