frekro

WRTU54G-TM asking to put security key

[ Edited ]

I have WRTU54G-TM at homeEthernet-cabled desktop comp works excellent as well as laptpop with push-in wireless card (no latest model).  This laptop connects to my wireless system  not so quick but stable and authomatically, without any questions  to put inside "security key" because my wireless connection is "open" (i. m. without any security code).

But I bought recently small laptop - notebook ASER E-machine 250-1162, model # KAV60 with Wi-Fi card inside.

When I try to connect this notebook to home "openwireless network to go to internet each time the notebook asks me (during process of connection) to put "security key".  I tried to put IP addresses that are on the router (192.168.0.1 or

192.168.24.1) but computer does not accept these ##.   But the notebook contacts with internet very well with help of ethernet cable.   How can you help me ? And thanks in advanceAl

oook

Re: WRTU54G-TM asking to put security key

First of all I would suggest you check the Wireless settings on your linksys router. To do so follow the below mentioned steps

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...  Click on the Wireless tab>For Wireless Security>Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...and check if you have enabled the security on the router.

If not then remove all the preferred networks from your new laptop and then check if you can connect to the network.

Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
m.ouamer

Linksys router does not support multiple IP address schemes. For example, if you're using an IP address of 192.168.1.1 for your router. then try to use IP addresses from the range of 192.168.1.2 --> 192.168.1.254 for your hosts. If your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 and one of your hosts has an IP address of 19.168.24.1, then there are good chances that they will not communicate with each other. Even this, your actual issue is caused by misconfigured wireless settings. Therefore, try to verify your wireless settings.

Hope this help!

ryanchappell

[ Edited ]

Seems to be a common problem with the Scientific Atlanta 2100 cable modem from Charter.  The real problem may have to do with a MAC lock-in that Charter has set the prevents you from moving the modem to other PCs and to a router:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/Charter-cable-modem-and-Linksys-BEFSR81/m-p/120262

The cable tech told my parents they needed a new router.

(Mod note: Please keep your post courteous.)