rookieboy

WRV200 Wireless light keeps blinking, no clients connected.

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but im wondering why my linksys wrv200 wireless light on the router keeps blinking even though my wireless laptop is not turned on?  I checked the router status and no other clients are connected so im puzzled as to why the wireless activity light is blinking which shows activity as per the manual.
Is this normal??  

Thanks

Expert
Expert

Re: WRV200 Wireless light keeps blinking, no clients connected.

How exactly do you determine that no other clients are connected? What status information makes you think so?

Are the packet counts in the status increasing over time?
rookieboy

Hi GV,

Thanks for your reply.  I enabled wep security, mac address filter,  transmit at low power.  Checked the status on the router to see if any clients are connected.  The only one connected is my laptop that has the correct security settings.  When I turn off my laptop the wireless light continues to blink on the router non stop as if there is still network activity.  If im doing this wrong please feel free provide some suggestions.  Bottom line is that my old router linksys wrt54gs wireless light does not keep blinking non stop.  It only blinks when my laptop is on and im using the internet of file sharing.
Anyone with a wrv200, please let me know if your wireless light keeps blinking non stop.  I just want to make sure that my router is not defective. 

Expert
Expert

Again you write "Checked the status on the router to see if any clients are connected." without explaining what part of information makes you think so. My router does not have any on the status page. As far as I can see in the WRV200 manual, the WRV200 does not have any there either. Thus, I repeat: how exactly do you want to know that now client is connected?

Have you changed your SSID from "linksys" to something else?
Do you broadcast the SSID?

Traffic could result from another neighbor running his router also with SSID "linksys" (or the same SSID you are using). Anything he sends would be received by your router as well as the SSID matches.
rookieboy

Hi,

I do not broadcast ssid, and the ssid has been changed.  Since im using the dhcp on the router, it registers any clients it gives an ip to when you look in the status tab and check the dhcp client table.  I could isolate this router in a basement with the security setting and still that wireless light just keeps blinking.  I dont know how else to check or to tell you that there is no wireless clients conneting to the router.......yet the wireless light keeps blinking.

Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
The DHCP client table only contains the computers which requested an IP address from your router. Any device/computer with a static IP address will never appear in that list. You cannot tell if a wireless client with a static IP address is still connected or not.

Wireless clients may (more likely) appear in the wireless client list. I don't know if the WRV200 has it or not. Usually you'll find the wireless client list by going to the wireless MAC filter setup tab. Enable the filter if it is not enabled (no need to save the setting), press edit filter list, and it pops up a window where you have another button "wireless client mac list". That button shows you a window of active and inactive wireless clients with their IP address. Any static IP address client should appear there, too. (If the list is not there, search the manual for it...)

You could make another test: change the SSID temporarily on the router to something else. A longer random string. Setup WPA2 with a random preshared key. Save the settings. Disconnect all computers from the router. Still blinking? Unplug the modem connection from the router. Still blinking? If the router is still blinking with nothing wired to it and a wireless network that nobody knows (yet), well, that should clearly indicate a router problem (or at least a wireless light problem). If that is the case it should not be too hard to bring the router back to the shop and show them what is happening.

Message Edited by gv on 12-18-200605:43 PM

rookieboy

Hi GV,

I totally didnt consider the wireless clients with the static addresses.  Good one.
The tests you suggested were run and unfortunately that darn light keeps blinking. 
I have taken it back to the store and will get a replacement when they get them back in stock.  Thanks for your help

Regards,

pepemosca

Hey rookieboy, do the Wireless Light still blinking? Mine does it, the hole time.
Regulus Alpha

Hey people, I just bought the same router (WRV200) and I am getting the same exact issue, my Wireless status led has gone crazy, it never stops blinking, the f/w revision is the latest 1.0.32.2, I went through all the settings you can imagine and the issue persists, I am wondering if they are going to fix this in the next f/w release?
pepemosca

I have the 1.0.37 and I still have the same problem. Do as I: get used to it :smileysad: