enrolb

WRV54G Hardware DMZ

I am wanting to set up my VOIP gateway to the Hardware DMZ on this router.  I am not sure whether I should use private or public ip address (setup options offered)? What is the difference in operation?  Next the manual indicates that port 4 is the port utilized for this, yet no change seems to happen to the port. If I set the private ip to be 192.168.0.5 (part of my domain addresses) and attach my notebook computer to it with a the same or different ip address (say 192.168.0.4) there still is traffic on port!?  I would think that if would only forward traffic for the 192.168.0.5 ip address!  I wish there was more meaningful documentation on this feature... I even chatted with the online support and all they could do was to look in the KB! 

Anyone have any thoughts on this feature or answers!  much appreciated if you do!!
saber_tooth

Re: WRV54G Hardware DMZ

If you connect four devices to 4 different ports on the back of router ....... still the traffic is equally distributed .....

So if the VOIP is connected alone in the port it is getting the same connection as connected with the laptop ........
enrolb

Maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough.  This router has the ability to do software dmz and hardware dmz. If I am to understand correctly, software dmz will direct any traffic to the address specified no matter which port it is connected to.  Hardware dmz (and documentation isn't real clear) would indicate that port 4 becomes dedicated to dmz.  My thinking is that whatever is connected to that port will receive the dmz traffic provide the ip address matches (why there is a private ip address and public address option provided when hardware dmz is selected is still a mystery)

In order to advance I did some more testing.  I set the hardware dmz option to a private ip address of 192.168.0.5  Next I set the static ip address of my notebook to the same and connected it to each port in turn.  In each case no connection or traffic could be made to the internet. (kinda strange as one would think there should be traffic on port 4 where hardware dmz is set).  It gets stranger!

Next I set the ip address of my notebook to an unused ip address of 192.168.0.6  I again connected it to each port in turn.  The results were that I got traffic and internet access on all ports except for port 1!!   huh?  I then tried a number of different static ip addresses on port 1 and I could get no internet access or traffic!!

If I turn off hardware dmz I can get internet access on port 1 so the port is working.

I find this all kinda bizarre and am still looking for answers.   I personally think that having a hardware dmz port is a really smart feature.  I just wish I could get it to work.

Again, thanks for any thoughts.
vlturner

This router firmware has been broken on a number of the advanced features since the latest relese was shipped out. They also took away the telnet to this router so you cannot fix its problems by the old way of telneting to it and correcting issues.

Linksys/Cisco have been unresponsive to calls to correct this for 2 years now, and will not refund my purchase. I am currently looking to replace this with an N generation router that has removable antenna wich doesn't seem to be available.

Also the GGPL is in an unusable state, and Linksys/Cisco make the dependent code unavailabel to fix this.

Since Cisco purchased Linksys the fail to stand up to their responsibilities.