Larami

Want to use Linksys E3200 as Downstream Router from Verizon Ationtec Router

I want to use Linksys E3200 as Downstream Router from Verizon Ationtec Router, it has been fighting me.

I want the Actiontec to provide internet service only (plus control of my FiOS TV boxes).  I want the Linksys to control everything else, inclusding DHPC.

Note: I have looked at the other postings, but they are not looking for the same thing.

Issue:

• Verizon Actiontec router  is only 10/100 Ethernet and abg wireless (IP 192.168.1.1)
  • Verizon router is required  for interface with FIOS and  to
         control TV boxes)

Objective:

• Place 1Gb/n Linksys E3200 downstream from Verizon router
  • E3200 to control network,
         Verizon to provide Internet access only to E3200

Problems/Actions

• Plugged cable from E3200  WAN port into Verizon Ethernet LAN port
  • Linksys network management software would not recognize connection between E3200 and Verizon, requiring
         manual setup of E3200 (IP 192.168.0.1) and network connections (e.g. Network (Ethernet) and Wireless)
  • After manual setup,  network management software would not function at all; in XP computer had
         to re-enable Windows network connections to get to settings
  • Set E3200 DHCP on
  • Set computers and devices  in E3200 with static IP addresses
  • E3200 would NOT  issue IP addresses despite having DHCP set on
    • Could get system to work ONLY if set each computer’s network connections (e.g. Network (Ethernet)
            and Wireless) manually to the static IP (192.168.0.xx) listed in the E3200
    • What this meant was that
            if I tried to log into a different wireless network, I had to manually
            set the computer’s Wireless Network Connection back to Receive Automatic
            IP from DHCP, and then manually set specific IP again when connecting to
            home E3200
  • Was able to change slow
         Verizon-supplied E3200 DNS server addresses to faster ones, but only by
         changing each computer’s network connections (e.g. Network (Ethernet) and
         Wireless).
    • Could not find where to change DNS server address in Verizon router

QUESTIONS:

• How do I get the E3200’s
         DHCP working when it’s plugged downstream into the Verizon router?

Where is the setting located? Do I need to change anything in the Verizon
         (upstream) router?
  • How do I change the
         default Verizon router’s DNS addresses?

Where is the setting located?
binky

Re: Want to use Linksys E3200 as Downstream Router from Verizon Ationtec Router

I think you are trying to cascade the both routers .

Follow this link to connect two routers .