Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lordstag

Re: Weird Cisco VPN isse. Crashing machine when accessing VPN using cisco client

He's right... A computer will never crash from at the fault of networking equipment. It is a hardware or software issue on your computer. There's no way around that. Check event viewer and see what the error means rather than assuming something impossible.

pvkds

Re: Weird Cisco VPN isse. Crashing machine when accessing VPN using cisco client

I may have found the answer. The Cisco VPN client on her work computer is 8 revisions behind. It came out in 2007 and the e3000 may just be doing something the old client doesn't like. Now to see if her work will allow me to upgrade the client.

lordstag wrote:

He's right... A computer will never crash from at the fault of networking equipment. It is a hardware or software issue on your computer. There's no way around that. Check event viewer and see what the error means rather than assuming something impossible.

pvkds

Upgraded to the latest VPN Clietn and it stills Blue Screens, on NDIS.SYS>

I still sya the router is doing something to cause th isses as I can change them to my old one and it works.

ANY ideas wold be great.

Expert
Expert

As I wrote before: reinstall the computer. It has a serious problem. A computer which shows BSOD has a serious problem. Reinstall the computer. That's the only solution. The VPN client usually works even fine. Many people use it. If you have a BSOD on your computer it's a computer problem. It doesn't matter that this computer/software bug only shows with one router and not with another.

If it's in the NDIS driver it may be enough to reinstall the network card driver. Uninstall the VPN client first. Then delete the network cards from the device manager. Reboot. Windows will reinstall the network card drivers. Then download the latest drivers for your network cards and (re)install each of them, rebooting after each installation. After you are on the latest drivers install the VPN client again and see if it makes a difference. If not, you have to reinstall the whole computer...
pvkds

I am giving up and getting another router. This is a brand new netbook as the other one did the same thing with this router. I will see if a different router casues the same issue.

pvkds

Got a netgear with the same specs and NO issues at all. It was the router, it may have been defective, but it was the problem.

Expert
Expert

Definitively not.

Your cell phone explodes when you use provider A.

Your cell phone does not explode with provider B.

Your conclusion: it must be the provider...

Very, very wrong...

I can only repeat and write what others also noted: a BSOD is first and all a computer problem.
dsnimick

Yeah, well, perhaps then you could explain how 2 laptops, one running win 7, the other XP, both completely up to date on drivers, etc., both get BSOD's when connect to Linksys X2000 wirelessly, and neither fails virtually ever when connected to any other router I've ever used, which has been several over the lifetime of these 2 laptops.

I've had probably 20 BSOD's on these since Saturday when I got the new router.  Hadn't been able to stay up more than 2 hours.  Tried everything.  All diags, driver updates (none available), etc.  No help.  Finally switched back to previous router and have not had a fail in 5.5 hours.

Clearly, the Linksys router is generating bytes the drivers don't understand.  I agree that the fail is in the laptops, but it's the router's fault.  Period.

dsnimick

Oh, forgot to mention my situation is the same as the original posters, that this only happens when connected via a virtual driver created by the VPN software, which in my case happens to be from AT&T.

Expert
Expert

You don't know whose fault it is...

In your simple logic, whose fault is it if this happens:

AT&T publishes an update for this "virtual driver". This fixes the problem. No BSOD. No crash. VPN is working fine... Whose fault was it then??

The X2000 may send bytes the driver doesn't understand. But what makes you so sure that the X2000 is not allowed and within all wireless and networking IEEE standard sending those bytes??

Thus, the only conclusion and all you really can know at this point: a BSOD is a computer problem and needs to be fixed on the computer. It is and remains a computer problem. Concluding from a BSOD that it's the problem of an external device is not possible. You don't know that.

Contact AT&T and have them fix this driver bug.