Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pvkds

Weird Cisco VPN isse. Crashing machine when accessing VPN using cisco client

Work connection will load database about a third of the way then crash laptop. I can change out the router from the new Cisco e3000 to an old wireless router and it works fine.

This is driving me insane I love this router otherwise, but I can't use it if it blue screens the laptop on each vpn connection.

pvkds

Re: Weird Cisco VPN isse. Crashing machine when accessing VPN using cisco client

This is with the latest firmware on the e3000

Thanks

Expert
Expert

Re: Weird Cisco VPN isse. Crashing machine when accessing VPN using cisco client

A router cannot crash a computer. If the computer shows a blue screen it's a computer problem.
pvkds

I didn't explain enough in the first post. It may not be the "router", but is surely is something to do with the router as it is the only player in the game causing the issue.

I can connect to my Aventail VPN at work fine.

My wife can update her database with our old router in place or at anh place that has wireless available near the house. Just not with the new router.

The internet is fast and all devices connect to it wonderfully.
My wife's work uses netbooks to sync their databases. When she connects to the vpn it is fine until the update of the database starts taking place, then it just blue screens the netbook. I can put the old router in place and no issues. I changed the QOS setting of WMM (WiFi MultiMedia) to disabled and it worked, but it still blue screens and takes several attempts to get it through. I have used TomatoUSB and WWDRT as well as the default firmware.

pvkds

I will say this. I Disabled WMM in QOS and we can get thourgh and update the database every now and then, but most of the time it will still blue screen. I am gong to disable QOS completely to see if that is the issue.

Expert
Expert

Update the drivers on the computer.

If that doesn't help: reinstall the computer.

A blue screen is a severe problem on the computer.
pvkds

No, this is a new computer that her company set up and sent her. They have these all over the place and this is only happening to the 2 netbooks we have had since installing the new router.

IT IS NOT THE COMPUTER

\

Expert
Expert

Again: if the computer crashes because of a network component it's a bug in the computer. A computer must not ever crash because of something a network device does. It's a serious computer problem. It's potentially a serious security issue. A computer must not crash because of something a network device like a router does or does not.

If the router does something wrong, any computer and any software on the computer must gracefully detect this problem and handle it properly but never cause a blue screen. A BSOD indicates a serious problem in Windows, one of its components or drivers.

It's first and all a computer problem.
pvkds

Really that is your answer? These Netbooks are used everywhere. THe same netbook can connect to anh wireless hotspot and our old wireless router and not have issues. When I put the new router in, we get blue screen, then I put the old router back in place and it works fine.

There is something in the Healthwyse software that causes the computer to crash, but only when using the e3000. Like I said, I turned off WMM in QOS and I will try disabling QOS all together this evening. I am even going to put that netbook into the DMZ.

You really need to not jump and say it is the computer with the issue, because at this point you are wrong and am considering taking my money elsewhere. I have sold over 5 of these units in the last 2 days just bragging  about how good it is. I can't say the same for the "Experts"

Expert
Expert

Let me put it this way: if the computer crash was a router issue that would give attackers a great way to crash computers all around the world...

As you wrote: "There is something in the Healthwyse software that causes the computer to crash". Thus it's a problem with that software. It doesn't matter with which router it may appear. Changing the router would only avoid the real problem: a serious software bug causing the computer to crash.

Or another example: your wireless devices explodes, but only if you connect it to a E3000 router. Is that a problem of the E3000 or of your wireless device? I would say, it's a problem of the wireless device. The E3000 may have a serious bug which causes your wireless device to explode. But a wireless device must never explode. That's the core problem. A wireless device must never explode, regardless to which access point it is connected to or how buggy that access point may be.

A BSOD must never happen. A BSOD is always a problem with the device on which it happens. A computer must not crash, in particular not because of something anything external to the computer does or does not...