jfloe91

Were do I find my WEP key in my computer?

Hello, I have the wireless router WRT54G and I am having some troubles finding the WAP key for my boys Gamboys to connect to the Internet. Were can I find the WAP key in my computer? Is it in control panel, My Computer? Any help would be great.
Thanks
Ikester

Re: Were do I find my WEP key in my computer?

You can find you WEP key by accessing your router.  In your router is a tab called wireless and under there is a sub tab called security.  That's where  you can find it.

Note: The FBI proved WEP security can be cracked with in minutes with utilities available over the internet.  WPA or WPA2 ( if you devices support it) are the recommended security for wireless networks.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Corbo

An alternate way is to use a program such as WirelessKeyViewer ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html ).
Your PC stores WEP and WPA keys, and this program simply displays them and allows you to save them as a .txt file. Very useful if you don't have access to the wireless router or are away from it. (Some non-linksys routers *-out the WEP key even in the router's GUI.)
jfloe91

How can I access my router?
Ikester

To access you router you need to open you browser and type in http://192.168.1.1 in the address field ans hit enter.  That should bring you to the routers log on screen and by default the user is left blank and the password is admin.

Or

Now if you are unable to access the router that way click on start>run and type in CMD and hit enter.  That will open your prompt si type in ipconfgi /all and hit enter.  There should be a Gateway with a IP address and that IP is what you use to access the router.  Now if you can get to the Log On screen and it the password has been changed and you do not know what it is then you will have to do a hard reset and reconfigure your router.  To do a hard reset push/hold the reset button for 30 seconds or more and power cycle your router.  That will reset you router the the default settings.

note:  If the first section works then the second is not needed.  I hope everything turn out ok for you and if you have any other questions feel free to post.
jfloe91

It says its not recognized as and internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Ikester

OOPPPPSSS  its (ipconfig /all)  with out the ( and ). 

jfloe91

I got it but now its asking for a username and password. were do I get these from?
jfloe91

Sorry to double post, but I got in. now, I see it but were do I find the key?