Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
raduray

What file do I use to upgrade WRT54GL firmware?

Just got a new WRT54GL wirless router and am interested in how to upgrade the firmware. Downloaded WRT54GL_v4.30.9_US.tgz from the Linsys support/download website. It's a zip file that contains WRT54GL_v4.30.9_US.tar which is another zip file that contains the source files. But there's no compiled file.  Where can I get an executable that can be downloaded to the router?
Toosmart

Re: What file do I use to upgrade WRT54GL firmware?

Once you download the file for the firmware it should contain one file with .bin extension. This is the file needed to upgrade the firmware. Once you have the file, access the web UI of the router and under Administration Tab click on firmware upgrade and select the .bin file and you should be able to upgrade the firmware.
raduray

Unfortunately, there's no .bin file included in the zip file I got off the download site. 
Expert
sabretooth

If your router is version 1.1, there is no code upgrade available.  If 1.0, the .bin file is on the web site.
raduray

I should have been clear on why I was asking in the first place.  The reason is that I want to try out the Tomato firmware but want a Linksys firmware file in case I want to go back.  So where can I find a .bin version of the firmare for v1.1
kevj

It is on the Linksys UK site...

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WRT54GL/download

Don't know why it isn't listed on the US site, but it looks like the same firmware as the 1.0

-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
helm

Download Firmware 2.79 MB...When you unzip this you should get a bin file...

Open an Internet Explorer browser page.In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave the username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...
Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

raduray

Thank you.  Do you know why it's not posted on the download site?
kevj

You'd have to ask Linksys that question....but if the firmware for the 1.0 and the 1.1 are the same, they may just have forgotten to update the page...or they may just consider that if there are no firmware updates for the 1.1, why bother posting it...after all, no one should ever need to re-flash their routers, right??   :smileywink:
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops