Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
arwild01

What's the latest firmware for a v1 WRT610N?

Right now, if you visit the download page regardless whether you select "v1" or "v2" of the hardware it points you to the EXACT same firmware file.  Is this firmware really compatibly with both generations of the hardware?  That definitely was not the case previously.
neoprimal

Re: What's the latest firmware for a v1 WRT610N?

[ Edited ]

That's pretty suspect. I've heard rumors going 2 ways - 1 bunch claimed forever that v.2 fw worked fine on v.1 hardware, the other claimed that v.2 hardware have different parts and so CANNOT take v.2 fw.

It would really be a slap in the face to all the v.1 people that had problems since they got their routers if v.2 fw works fine on them.

I want to say however, that I doubt it's correct. If you're familiar with DDWRT, alternative router Firmware - it's compat. with v.1 routers but not with v.2...leading me to believe there is at least some difference in hardware or in the routers makeup, at least in reference to the firmware.

If it is an accident/mistake on Linksys part, I'm hoping that no v.1 people blindly gets excited and loads it.

UPDATE:

I just did some more digging. Check this out. People have been putting V.2 FW on their V.1 WRT610N routers.

It is INFURIATING to know that Linksys did not realize that their own V.2 Firmware worked on V.1 hardware for a year and some months telling people that V.2 has 'different hardware'. 

People have been having sooooo many issues with V.1 hardware and Linksys took their own time releasing another V.1 fw build recently, and now...bam! V.2 fw works on a V.1 router.

Bet you they'll repack and rename it so as to not get any heat on this.

Goes to show how bad this company is getting. Yikes. 

Message Edited by neoprimal on 11-18-2009 10:46 PM
Message Edited by neoprimal on 11-18-2009 10:49 PM
castor

You can upgrade the router with the available firmware.The firmware available for WRT610N on linksys website will work with V1 and V2. I have already tested it.
wizbang_fl

Wouldn't it have been appropriate for them to put that info in the release notes?  Sounds like someone is asleep at the wheel.
arwild01

I did go ahead and install the v2 firmware from the website (linked from the v1 page).  Everything appeared to install well and my 80211b/g network appears to be much more reliable then it was.  (previously my PSP and Wii were dropping connections).
rssarma

I installed v2 as well, but I'm still having problems with my B/G connections dropping all the time. Also, there is no mention whatsoever in the release notes! I thought Linksys was more responsible than this.
Thorbjorn

Mine fails during the upgrade like I elaborate on here. I am also not able to reset the router. Appreciate any help.