dplmhg

Where's the best location to place Wireless router

I have a two story house and want to know the best location to get the besp reception inside and outside the house

toomanydonuts

Re: Where's the best location to place Wireless router

The best place is generally somewhere near the center of the area where you want wireless service.  Ideally, the signal should pass through as few walls as possible, as it travels from the router to your wireless computers.  Try to locate it away from other electronics (i.e. don't put it behind your monitor, near a 2.4 GHz telephone, or near a microwave.).  If you have a primary desktop computer, there are some advantages to keeping it within eyesight, as this lets you quickly check the status of the router if there is a problem.   Finding a good location is sometimes just a matter of trial and error, so don't hesitate to try out a few spots.  If you find 2 locations that are equally satisfactory to you, then consider your neighbors, and locate it where it is least likely to bother them.

jerrymark

whats the model no? is it a  2.54Ghz or 11B router?

are there any wireless device  around?

I don't think you will have a problem wherever it is placed.  I live in a two story house and have good reception anywhere inside a 500 foot radius.  The simple location is where your internet connection is now with that PC wired to the router.  All other connections can be wireless but you really need one that is direct.
dplmhg

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your help! I placed it on the first floor in it's own room away from other electronics...getting good reception .