jsciullo

Who's On My Network

How can I tell who is accessing my 610N wireless router?  I used to have software from Linksys that did this but now Im on a MAC.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

kevj

Re: Who's On My Network

There should be a page in the router GUI that lets you see the MAC address that are associated with your router's SSID. Find the MAC addresses of YOUR connected devices, and any that don't match are probably 'intruders'.

If you are concerned about this, set up wireless security correctly on your router using WPA2 encryption and a strong passphrase to prevent 'uninvited guests'

-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
saberman

>If you are concerned about this, set up wireless security correctly on your router using WPA2 encryption and a strong passphrase to prevent 'uninvited guests'

I would think it would be easier and safer to setup MAC filtering so only predefined machines can attach to the wireless network.

kevj

The use of a reliable encryption scheme (WPA or WPA2 - NOT WEP) and a strong passphrase is much more effective than the use of MAC filtering. MAC filtering is an additional step that you can use to keep out casual intrusion attempts, but if you don't protect your wireless network with encryption/passphrase, it is trivial for a determined intruder to bypass MAC filtering. Most experienced wireless users don't even bother using it anymore.
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
Jade

You can go to the router UI, on the satus tab on local network....there is an option for DHCP Clients table you can see there all the MAC addresses and Computer names of PCs that are connected to your network...
castor

The linksys software will not work on the MAC os, so if you really wish to find out which computers are connected to your Router, you need to login to your Router setup page, Click on the Status tab and below you will find a sub tab "Local Network" and under that clikc on "DHCP Client table" and in that list you will find the computers which are connected to your router.