goodideadave

Will Firmware Upgrade get me to WPA2

I have a WRT54GS.  It is hardware version 2 and firmware version 3.37.7.  I have it set for WPA AES security.  For that hardware version it looks like I can only upgrade the firmware to version 4.71.4.001.  Will that get me to WPA2 AES encryption?  Thanks.

hiptechboy

Re: Will Firmware Upgrade get me to WPA2

What do you mean? You said that you were using WPA2 AES already. If you are asking if you'll still be able to use it, then most likely yes. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
goodideadave

The choices on the setup page show WPA Pre-Shared key, not WPA2.  Are they really the same?  Thanks.

hiptechboy

Ohhhh....my mistake. I'm so used to seeing WPA2 that my mind must've tricked me. WPA2 is stronger. I couldn't find the release notes for that firmware since they apparently stopped making it availabe for download. I would upgrade anyway. That could be one of the improvements in the newer firmware. 

vai_fan

So the difference between WAP and WPA2:

WPA
It is an interim solution that is used now until 802.11i comes out.

It still using RC4, but the Key was changed to TKIP.

TKIP basically works by generating a sequence of WEP keys based on a master key, and re-keying periodically before enough volume of info. could be captured to allow recovery of the WEP key. TKIP changes the Key every 10,000 packets, which is quick enough to combat statistical methods to analyze the cipher.

TKIP also adds into the picture the Message Integrity Code (MIC). The transmission’s CRC, and ICV (Integrity Check Value) is checked. If the packet was tampered with. WPA will stop using the current keys and re-keys.

WPA2

WPA2 uses AES-CCMP Encryption

AES aka the Rijndael algorithm is a secure, fast symmetric cipher that is easily implemented in hardware.

AES has its own mechanism for dynamic key generation. It's also resistant to statistical analysis of the cipher text.

Counter-Mode/CBC-MAC Protocol (CCMP) called the Advanced Encryption
Standard (AES).

goodideadave

Thanks, hiptechboy and vai_fan.  I think I understand the difference better now. 

It sounds like it's worth updating the firmware, but I kind of hate to do that because this router has been rock solid for years and I don't know what the new firmware will bring.  I now have three PCs, two blu-ray players (Netflix), and two smartphones connecting to it with no problems.  I even changed providers from the local phone company (DSL) to local cable company (fiber!), plugged it into the new modem, tweaked some settings and it's still loping along. Is there a way to backup the firmware from my router in case I need to rollback to the original version?  Thanks so much for everyone's help. 

hiptechboy

Unfortunately you can't backup the firmware, so it's a one-way trip.