YrbkMgr
Accepted Solution

Wired and Wireless - Adding a Second Router

[ Edited ]

I'm so thoroughly confused, and need a little guidance. For the past few years I have been using a LinkSys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router. That has been my reliable wired router. I have a few computers in another room (home network), that I connected to this router via a Linksys 24-port Hub (EFAH24). The hub died this weekend - the power supply is shot.

A good friend gave me the WRT160N Wireless router so that I might use it as a hub. One of the problems is that I cannot enter the setup screen for the wireless router because it has the same address as the original wired router.

In essence I'm trying to use dummy down the Wireless router - I rarely, if ever, need wireless; but it was free, and a nice unit to boot. So I'm trying to figure out how to use both routers, but use the wireless one as a dummy hub. All I'm trying to do is to restore my previous network topography.

Any assistance?

dudztgp

Re: Wired and Wireless - Adding a Second Router

The settings on your wired router should remain the same. All you need to configure is the wireless router. To configure it, unplug it from the network and the only thing connected to it is the computer. Here's the procedure. Follow the LAN-LAN connection setup.

YrbkMgr

Re: Wired and Wireless - Adding a Second Router

[ Edited ]

Thanks a ton for that information. Reading it, it looks like it would just take a few minutes, but in truth, it took me about three hours. There are some peculiarities about the order of things - example: if I change the ip address of the second router AND disable the DHCP, I couldn't get back to the setup page. Tried like 8 times, having to do a factory reset on the box - ugh. Finally, I changed the IP addy, saved changes, THEN disabled DHCP. Had to reboot the original working router...It was a bunch of things like that that made it a challenge.

That said, yes, my routers are now cascaded and I have the same functionality (plus a little more with wireless) that I had before. (Wiping sweat off brow), network's back up, so I thank you.

Peace.