JLSchutt

Wired computer can't get online but wireless can HELP!

[ Edited ]

My PC is running Vista Home Premium SP1 and is hardwired to the router. Every night I shut it down using Vista Sleep, and every morning I wake it up again. For about three mornings in a row everything is fine - Internet connection is intact, and programs that were running when the PC went to sleep are still running. On about the fourth morning, the Internet is not connected. However, the PC is connected to the home network and the router. The Network Magic map shows a good connection from the PC to the router but a bad connection from the router to the cable modem. Asking Network Magic to repair the connection does not fix the problem. Trying ipconfig release/renew does not fix the problem. Power cycling the router does not fix the problem. Restarting the PC does fix the problem.

Now for the strange part. At the same time that my PC cannot access the Internet, my wife's PC (which is using a wireless connection to the router) is working just fine. The Network Magic map on her PC shows a good connection from her PC to the router and a good connection from the router to the cable modem. She can access the Internet with no problem. How can the connection between the router and the cable modem be good for one of the PCs and bad for the other?

It's not a big problem for me to just restart my PC every 3rd or 4th morning, but I'd like to find a simpler way to restore the dropped Internet connection if possible. Any ideas?

--Jim--

(Mod note: Post moved to appropriate thread. Thank you.)

Message Edited by Vince_02 on 05-02-2009 11:29 AM
vai_fan

Re: Wired computer can't get online but wireless can HELP!

In this case it most likely the problem with the computer, Most of the time your computer will get connected to your router when you wakeup your computer from the sleep mode, But sometimes this problem happens, when you wakeup your computer from sleep mode and you find that you are not able to go online.As your computer is getting an IP address from your Router, and its Dynamic IP which keeps on changing after sometime, So in this case your computer is not able to renew the IP address, thats the reason you are not able to browse Internet on your computer. So just a Restart your computer will solve this problem.