Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
novicenetworknewbie

Wireless Bridge between two wired networks

I would like to establish two wired networks 4xLAN on each with a wireless link connecting them, so that it appears as a single 8xLAN to any computer on the system.  Plus it will have a DSL connection on one of the two local networks.  I first thought that it would be easy to link the WRT54GL wireless routers but now I have learned that they will not operate in a BRIDGE mode without new software that will probably violate the warranty.

So I decided to start the quest from scratch and get some device on just what the best way to go might be.  BTW  The two LANs will be 1000 ft apart but line of sight in a low noise environment.  And I am an RF and antenna guy so there is no problem for me to get the antenna gain needed to cover ther distance. 

So what is the BEST (cheapest, fastest, most reliable) way to implement this network with stock Linksys components?

TNX   novicenetworknewbie  (just too many options to sort out for a feeble mind)

Expert
Expert

Re: Wireless Bridge between two wired networks

I think the cheapest Linksys bridge is WET54G.

However, if you already got an WRT54GL I would still consider flashing 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt or tomato. It's pretty stable on the WRT54GL. The WRT54GL basically was the platform where dd-wrt and tomato started in the beginning. If you flash a stable release and not the latest beta you should see no problems on your WRT54GL and you should have no problems going back to Linksys firmware if necessary. That would be the cheapest solution if you have the WRT54GL already...
novicenetworknewbie

If I set up a pair of WRT54gl routers and install dd-wrt software so that the two routers operate in a bridge mode over a distance of 1000+ feet using some gain antennas into one of the antenna ports on each router and keep the stock antenna in the other port, will these two wireless routers still respond to a LOCAL wi-fi connection from another computer.  In other words can they work in the BRIDGE mode running dd-wrt software and still have the ability to network another computer (possibly on each end of the link) as well as using the four wired LAN ports and do their BRIDGE function as well?

BTW  I have nothing purchased yet, so my decision is not to be based on something I already have, only on what will do the job the best, where reliability is most important and cost is secondary.  Reliability is important on the BRIDGE link since I will be remote controlling some ham radio equipment and in addition to the control functions the wi-fi link will also have bi-directional (but not simultaneous) audio.

I like the idea of the WRET54GL units since they contain both the wi-fi link as well as a 4-port wired LAN, amking the systems integrated -- at least if I use the dd-wrt software.

THANKS  -- John

Expert
Expert

Well, for questions regarding dd-wrt you should ask in a dd-wrt forum. Maybe you can operate dd-wrt as bridge/repeater but I am not sure.

Of course, you could get one dedicated bridge like the WET54G and wire another access point or a WRT54GL to the bridge. The advantage of this setup would be that you can use one wireless channel on the first router & bridge connection and another wireless channel on the second router. A bridge/repeater will have to use the same channel as the first router and thus there will be at least some interference of both...

Gollum

Yes, with the DD-WRT its possible to make 2 Router communicate with each other wirelessly by settings them in a Bridge / Repeater mode. But you need to make sure your Router is been support by DD-WRT. But if you upgraded it with DD-WRT firmware on your linksys router that will void the warranty on your router. 

What gv has mentioned in his post you can try his suggestion and that would solve your problem.