DannyGio
Accepted Solution

Wireless Connection Not Established (BEFW11S4)

Hi,

Intro - Before i begin, let me just say that i'm a total virgin when it comes to router. All my years on the computer and internet, i've only been connected via ethernet directly from my cable modem as i have just 1 desktop. Anyhow, i just bought a laptop yesterday and so, a router is a must to connect wirelessly. I received an old Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 router from a friend and decided to use it as it's still functional. Yes, i know it's an ancient router but i'm on a tight budget.

The setup - I have the ethernet from my modem plugged into the router. I have another ethernet cable in slot #1 (router) connected to my desktop. For my laptop, it'll be a wireless connection.

Issue - Now, the connection for my desktop (via ethernet cable in slot #1 on the router) works perfectly fine. I have it set up (on browser - 192.168.1.1), added the SSID, WPA Shared Key and such. The only issue is with my laptop. Everytime i switch on my laptop, i cannot establish a connection (after selecting the SSID and entering the key). The ONLY way for me to get a connection is if i power off then on the router. Each time i turn on/restart my laptop, i'll have to power off/on the router in order for me to get it to work.

What is it that i'm missing or done wrong? I'm clueless when it comes to router. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. :smileyhappy:

Danny

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

Re: Wireless Connection Not Established (BEFW11S4)

[ Edited ]

Hi DannyGo and welcome to the forums!

What is the firmware version of your router? You can check it by logging in the rotuer's set up page. Please check if it's the same as the version found in the downloads tab of this link.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFW11S4

If not, please upgrade and reconfigure the settings. Please refer to the links below.

Checking the Linksys Router’s Firmware

Upgrading the Linksys Router's Firmware

Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service - if you are on cable

Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service - for DSL connections

Setting-Up the Wireless Settings on a Router

Let me know how it goes.

DannyGio

[ Edited ]

Hello iamgiantherockstar.

Thank you for your response. Anyways, I currently have v1.50.14. I'm off to perform the upgrade (to v1.52.03). Will be back with an update as soon as it's done.

Danny

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

Please make sure that you do a reset after upgrading the router's firmware before you configure it. Thank you.

DannyGio

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I totally got lost in the moment and forgot to post an update.

Anyways, i did an update (meticulously following the 'Firmware Upgrade Instructions' pdf file). Before the update, every reboot/boot up of my laptop will cause connection issues (as explained in my original post). After the update, i did a few reboots, shut down/turn it back on again and i'm glad to report that the connection comes on automatically, as it should.

Thank you very much for your help iamgiantherockstar! You just save my precious time by not having to repeatedly on/off the router everytime i want to use my laptop. Much appreciated.

Danny

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

Awesome! Please mark the post as solved. Thank you too DannyGio!

DannyGio

Already done that.

Have a good weekend! :smileyvery-happy:

f6gnz

Hello,

Thanks for the solution offered to originator of the issue, however, he had a more recent version of the router and f/w.

I have the same issue of my Wireless Link switching off fon my router.  I would like to know if the firmware update 1.45.10, dated back in 2004, being the latest available for my BEFW11S4 version 2 , would solve this WLAN activity inerruption issue. Otherwise, I don't see the reason for upgrading the firmware, except you strongly recomment it!

Please respond to my mail f6gnz@yahoo.com

Best regards,

Radi

barbny

FOREVER I've had this BEFW11S4 router and for years my ancient laptop could connect (otherwise, I only have a desktop, which is what I use 99% of the time). However, recently a friend with iPad visited and for a week couldn't connect--except once for a few minutes, it apparently "appeared" and she got on (I was not here to witness and couldn't get details from her).  We later dragged out my old laptop and saw that it didn't "see" the network either. Now, about a month ago, I got an iPhone. NADA. My wireless network is never an option. I can use my Verizon network for the I-Phone, so I'm not suffering, but I want to understand WHY this old router has quit working for other devices (except that it is still serving my desktop computer). A former employer put this in for me back in 2004 or so: I never asked name, code, etc. Today I've messed around in Network Connections and Linksys long enough to figure out its SSID (I think) and have established a password which took me into SETUP --where I did nothing, except be glad that I'd apparently established a password.  (Back in the day... when it worked with my old laptop, I never was prompted for password. I was just "on".) I am not a techie --can you tell-- but I have SOME sense of things and can follow instructions. For my limited needs, I have no reason to go buy a new router unless this is something not solvable. Ideas??? THANKS.

hiptechboy

[ Edited ]

You should probably start fresh. Hold the reset button for 30seconds. Now, get the exact version number of your router, go here, and download the latest firmware under "downloads". Here's a guide. The username field should be left empty and the password will be "admin". Your SSID will probably be "linksys" until you change it. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.