Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ColeyGM

Wireless Local IP Address

Can someone tell me what the Wireless Local IP Address setting within my WRVS4400N (1.1.03) is...and what it should be set for? 

It can be found under the Setup-->LAN tab. 

I know and am used to seeing the 'Local IP Address' tab which is set to default of 192.168.1.1...but what is this wireless Local IP Address Setting, and what should it be set to.  currently set to 192.168.1.2

thanks

Klatch

Re: Wireless Local IP Address

It work in the same way as Local Ip address for router i.e. 192.168.1.1 ... you can change it to any of the values from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 ...
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
I cannot find much documentation on this feature.  But if you look at the Firmware Release Notes for version 1.01.03, you can see that items 1 and 12  (see below)  suggest that you could setup separate VLANs that are running on different subnets.  It also implies that you could setup your wireless to run on a separate VLAN and subnet.  If you did this, you would probably want to change the "Wireless LAN IP address" in the third octet, for example, you might use 192.168.5.2 .   If you do not want your wireless on a separate VLAN and subnet, leave it set to 192.168.1.2

This feature would be helpful, for example, in a coffee shop, where the owner would want to have public wireless access on one VLAN and subnet, while his private wired network runs on a different VLAN and subnet. 

Here is a copy of some of the Firmware Release Note:

WRVS4400N Firmware Release Note.

Version: 1.01.03

*** Due to the new features added in this new release, the configuration
*** file of an earlier firmware cannot be used after the firmware is upgraded
*** to v1.01.03. Please reset the router to factory default after the upgrade.

*** Be sure to backup your configuration file first in case you want to
*** revert the firmware back to an earlier version. 

Enhancements:

1. Support 802.1Q VLAN (up to 4) including access/trunk modes on LAN ports
   and access mode only on wireless interface. 
2. Support advanced IPv6 features on LAN ports:
   - 6to4 tunnels to connect IPv6 islands through IPv4 Internet
   - Support 6to4 Access Control List to allow traffic between trusted
     IPv6 islands only
   - Support static IPv6 DNS entries for hosts across 6to4 tunnels
   - Support DHCP server for IPv6
3. Support Custom DNS provided by DynDNS.org.
4. Support DHCP static IP based on MAC address. Up to 50 entries are supported.
5. IPSec VPN supports remote gateway defined by a DDNS domain name.
6. QuickVPN supports self-generated certificate on the VPN Client Accounts page.
7. QoS supports bandwidth management (layer-3 QoS).
8. QoS supports DSCP/CoS/port-based QoS (layer-2 QoS).
9. Event logging supports multiple severity levels.
10. Email Alert supports SMTP Authentication.
11. L2 Switch supports port mirroring, and RSTP.
12. DHCP Server (in the Setup->LAN page) supports multiple subnets,
    once multiple VLANs are created.
13. Support routing between VLANs, which can be enabled/disabled in the
    Setup->Advanced Routing page.
14. Support option to block management GUI access by wireless clients.
15. Update IPS Signature file to 1.29.
16. Change 11n default channel bandwidth to 20MHz.
17. US and EU versions are now supported in one firmware.  The version
    booting up will be determined by hardware. 
18. Support MS-CHAPv2 for PPPoE authentication.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-29-2008 01:11 AM
ColeyGM

It only allows the changing of the 4th octet though which confuses me.

So if i do have it set to 192.168.1.2 (is not allowed to be set same as Local IP Address by the way) does that cause any communication issues between wireless devices and wired devices?

Every since we upgraded to this router we've had nothing but trouble.  Wireless PC's routinley get dropped of the router and connection repairs are needed constantly.  Same thing happens to our wireless print server too which causes bigger issues.

along these lines, why don't any of the static devices appear on the DHCP Tables or ARP/RARP tables?

any thoughts greatly appreciated.
vness

Did you do a hard reset after upgrading the firmware?

ColeyGM

yes...although i loaded the configuration via restore fucntionality.  Would this cause an issue?  ...ie do i need to manually re-configure everything instead?  not much reason for the backup functionality if so.
vness

I would recommend that you reconfigure from scratch.

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
vness is right.  You must setup the router again from scratch after a firmware upgrade.  You cannot (or at least should not) use a router configuration file that you have saved.

Router configuration files can only be used when:

1)  The router is the same model and version
2)  The firmware version is the same
3)  You are certain that the router was setup and running perfectly when you saved the router configuration file.

My understanding is that you would only be allowed to change the third octet of the Wireless LAN IP address after you have set the router to use multiple VLANs.   If you are running the router on one VLAN, the wireless and wired IP addresses must match in the first 3 octets.  So if you want to use multiple VLANs, change that setting first, then the Wireless LAN IP address will likely let you change the third octet.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-29-2008 03:05 PM
ColeyGM

As I said the main problems i seem to have are always with the printers which are connected to a wireless print server.  I had that print server set as dynamic although recently reset it to static thinking this might help. 

Now...i set the static IP within the DHCP dynamic range of the router.  ie the router is set to it's default 100-149 dynamic assignments and i set the print server static to 149.  Is that a problem?  IE should any static assignments always be outside potential dynamic range?
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Whether or not the 192.168.1.149  static LAN IP address is a problem or not depends on how you set it up.

If you have the latest firmware (1.01.03)  for your WRVS4400N, and you setup the static LAN IP address of 192.168.1.149  by using the "DHCP reservation" function, then this is OK.  Usually, when your use "DHCP reservation" the address should be within the DHCP server range.  Note that this "DHCP reservation" feature is not available in previous versions of the firmware.

However, if you setup the 192.168.1.149  address by entering it into the printer (or print server), then this is an illegal fixed LAN IP address.  If you setup addresses manually, in the device that will be using them, they must be outside the DHCP server range, and they cannot end in 0, 1, or 255.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 03-11-2008 12:10 AM