Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ThatCompDude

Wireless-N Home Router Internet Address 192.168.200.*

This is the only router that I have noticed this.

We use Linksys routers for our Remote Camera Systems and this is the first time I've used the WRT150N and probably the last.

When you view the status of your router, instead of showing the actual IP address it shows a 192.168.200.* which screws up setting up the Panasonic camera remotely via the IP and port #.

Any idea how to get around this or to make the router use the actual IP address the ISP gives you?
Expert
Expert

Re: Wireless-N Home Router Internet Address 192.168.200.*

[ Edited ]
Is the router working? Do you have internet access through this router?

The IP address on the status page of the router is the IP address which the router got with DHCP on the internet port. Check where it connects to. Whatever this might be, there must be another router with a DHCP server which assign addresses 192.168.200.*. Some modems also have routing functions. With chained routers doing NAT you have to set up port forwarding on all routers in chain up to the router which has the public IP address.

Message Edited by gv on 08-08-2007 03:41 PM
ThatCompDude

Yeap, the router works and everything. But when I open up the port to the IP address that the camera is assigned, I get nothing. Then when I run the setup wizard for the camera, it gives me 192.168.200.53:101 (because the camera is setup on that port) and that's not possible because as we all know, that's an internal class IP. If you go to www.whatismyip.com the IP address is like 74.153.21.28 or something. When you log into the router and view the Status, it shows the IP address as 192.168.200.2 (the 2 might be something else I don't remember right now). All other Linksys routers that we've used (WRT54G)will show the correct IP address when you view the router Status.
ThatCompDude

It's a Westell DSL Modem, I'll check to see if it has DHCP turned on. I never even thought about the modem having DHCP.
Expert
Expert

You have other routers connected to the same modem, connecting to the same ISP and those routers get a public IP address? Only this router gets the private 192.168.200.* address?

That sounds very odd. The router does not invent the IP address which it gets on the internet port. As you have internet through the router the IP address it gets must be a valid one to connect to wherever it is connecting to. Generally, if you see private IP addresses on the internet connection of your router most of the time it is the modem which does it. Of course, it could also be the next upstream hop, e.g. a dorm router or even an ISP. The next router/device must be the one which assigns this private address for whatever reason it might be.

You can try a "tracert" in a command prompt window, e.g. "tracert www.google.com". It shows you the hops between your computer and google. The first hop is your router. The next hop is the router after your router. etc.

I don't understand how your camera shows you 192.168.200.53:101 when the router uses the IP address 192.168.200.2 on the internet connection.
ThatCompDude

I'm on the job site now and the modem had DHCP turned on. It's the first time I've encountered a modem that had DHCP turned on. It's always something basic that trips you up. I guess I should have started from the most obvious things first when troubleshooting. Thank you for the help, it's much appreciated!
ThatCompDude

Ok, figured out the problem. The Westell modem won't allow turning of DHCP so that the router will get a public address. They said you could make the modem work but they do not support it and I have no idea how because we've never ran into this problem. So they are sending us the modem they send for static IP addresses, which is a different modem that has bridging.
hishama

pepper_mint

Hi ThatCompDude! Glad to know that you were able to pinpoint the problem. Thanks for sharing with us your feedback.  Hope everything gets resolved soon.:smileywink: