Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Tdub08

Wireless N card compatible with Wireless G Router?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.  I just bought a laptop that has a 802.11N wireless card in it.  However, I formerly had a WRT54GS Wireless G router.  Are these two compatible or do I have to buy a Wireless N router?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
toomanydonuts

Re: Wireless N card compatible with Wireless G Router?

[ Edited ]
Wireless N devices are compatible with wireless g devices.  Your maximum connection speed will be the wireless g limit of 54 Mbps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 01-12-2008 12:51 AM
dibbler

Hi, N is backward compatible to B and G. Hence you can connect to router with G speed. But if want to increase speed and range of wireless network, you can go for a N router like WRT350N etc.
Optimus Networks

Apparently, the answer to this question is not as simple as it should be.  While Linksys claims that their Wireless-N product is backwards compatible witrh Wireless-G, Netgear claims that the Cisco N routers have trouble keeping a connection to a G device.  I have a Netgear wireless USB Print Server on my network (Linksys' Print Servers only have one USB port and I need at least 2) and I have been having intermittent trouble with it, so I posted the issue on the netgear site.  Here is the post and the reply:

I have also been having trouble with the WGPS606--I'd have scrapped the whole thing by now except I haven't found another wireless print server with more than 1 USB port.

The network I am talking about has a Linksys Wireless-N located in close proximity to the netgear PS. The problem is not that I was unable to get it to work, the problem is that it will work for a while and then either start printing garbage (costly when the usb printer is a postage printer) or it will lose its connection completely.

I have disabled the firewall and am running w/o WEP or any security. Because of the proximity to the router, I once connected an ethernet cable between the two devices and the printers immediately started printing, however I cant do that anymore.

I have assigned it a static IP address to avoid address conflicts, I have truied rebooting the router, the PS, and the printers...even the desktop. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't.

When it doesn't work and I use the CD utility selecting "Set up this PC" it doesn't see the PS whether wirelessly or wired with an ethernet cable to the router.

Interestingly, I can not see the print server in Linksys' EasyLink Advisor either, which is a graphical network managment tool.

I have replaced cables, relocated the wireless devices, used static and dynamic IP addressing, stripped out all security, rebooted, readdressed, refreshed, resyncronized, and regurgitated my lunch, all to no avail.

Here is my network diagram:
(Please note, the diagram depicts a wireless connection to the router, but I have also tried a wired ethernet connection as well)

Reply from:  

NETGEAR

Seems the 802.11N network cannot keep a stable 802.11G connection up and running to the WGPS606.
Set, if possible, the Linksys wireless to 11G only.

toomanydonuts

--  to Optimus Networks

Sorry to hear that the people at Netgear were unable to help you.

Poor wireless connections are often caused by incorrect or suboptimal router settings, or interferrence from other devices.  I think that it would be premature to blame the router without first checking out your network.  So lets get started going over your network:

1)  What is the fixed LAN IP address that the  WGPS606 is using?

2)  What is the model and version of your wireless n router?

3)  What router firmware version are you using?

4)  Is your wireless router still set to the default DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149 ?   If not, what is it set to?

5)  Please list any other fixed LAN IP addresses on the router's LAN

6)  What is the make and exact model number of your modem?

7)  Who is your ISP?

Optimus Networks

Actually I was blaming the Print Server, not the router, which is why I first posted on the Netgear site.  The reason I posted here was as a result of the answer I got from Netgear. 

That said, both the router and the PS are located in my library.  They sit about 4-5 feet apart, and about 10 feet from 3 wireless desktop computers that have wireless keyboards and mice, and one UTP ethernet wired Netware File Server , and are all housed in a fully enclosed, adequately vented, half-height communications rack (fan disabled).  The printers are about 2-3 feet from the print server on different shelves of the same bookcase.  The only other electronic devices in that room are a telephone, located about 5 feet from the Linksys router and about 9-10 feet from the print server, and a television (which is almost never even turned on) located on the shelf above the phone, about the same distance from the router and print server.  The adjacent room is the billiard room and contains no electronic devices that might create interference.

Once again, the issues are intermittent, which is the most exasperating part, and whatever I do to get it working again (rebooting router, or rebooting PS, or rebooting printers, or switching to a wired connection, or readdressing, or dancing naked under a full moon mixing nightshade dragons blood and eye-of-newt in a mortar & pestle while chanting "Om Mani Padme Hum") is inconsistent and often ineffective.

1)  What is the fixed LAN IP address that the  WGPS606 is using?

The static IP address of the Print Server is 192.168.1.25

2)  What is the model and version of your wireless n router?

Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT160N  

3)  What router firmware version are you using?

Firmware Version: v3.0.00   

4)  Is your wireless router still set to the default DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149 ?   If not, what is it set to?

Yes. Default: 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149

5)  Please list any other fixed LAN IP addresses on the router's LAN

Currently all other addresses are DHCP

6)  What is the make and exact model number of your modem?

Motorola SBV5222

But I am not dropping my internet connection, only the connection to the print server...or it will hold its connection and mess up the print job...this has been costly since one of the printers is a DYMO Labelwriter 320 from Stamps.com that prints postage

7)  Who is your ISP?

Cablevision: Optimum On-Line

Hope this helps.

toomanydonuts

1)  Do you know what subnet the Motorola SBV5222 is giving out?  The only thing that is important here is that it must be different from the Linksys 192.168.1.x  subnet.

If you are not sure what subnet the Motorola is using, login to the WRT160N, and go to the Status page, and in the section labeled "Internet Connection", it should list your "Internet IP address"    (this will be very near your DNS addresses).    Post the first half of your "Internet IP address", however, if it is a 192.168 address, please post the entire address.

If your Motorola does happen to be using the 192.168.1.x  subnet, then, after you complete step 3 below, go into the WRT160N and change the "Local IP address"  to  192.168.2.1

2)  Do you happen to be using channel 11 ?    An instability in channel 11 was fixed in firmware 3.0.02 build 3.

3)  There have also been other wireless improvements since v3.0.00 , so the first thing I would recommend is a firmware upgrade to the latest version, which is 3.0.02 build 4.   After a firmware upgrade, you will need to reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch.  If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it  --  you must setup the router from scratch.

If you need guidance on doing a firmware upgrade, or a reset to factory defaults, see my post at this URL:

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wired_Routers&message.id=26648

4)  Let me know whether or not this fixes your wireless problem. 

Optimus Networks

1)  Do you know what subnet the Motorola SBV5222 is giving out?  The only thing that is important here is that it must be different from the Linksys 192.168.1.x  subnet.

The SBV5222 is 24.185.X.X on the WAN side, and 192.168.100.1 on the ethernet side.

2)  Do you happen to be using channel 11 ?    An instability in channel 11 was fixed in firmware 3.0.02 build 3.

Channel: 6

3)  I would recommend is a firmware upgrade to the latest version, which is 3.0.02 build 4.

I'll do the firmware upgrade.

4)  Let me know whether or not this fixes your wireless problem. 

I'll let you know, ty