nnz1204

Wireless Routers and Thick Walls

Is there any wireless router that can go through brick walls without many degradtion of the signals and such. The router will be for my business so it will have to go to many rooms.

Thanks in advance!
Wizzard

Re: Wireless Routers and Thick Walls

Well you can either go for a wrt54gx4 or wrt300n....Both the routers use "Multiple In, Multiple Out" (MIMO) technology which effectively doubles the data rate. Unlike ordinary wireless networking technologies that are confused by signal reflections, MIMO actually uses these reflections to increase the range and reduce "dead spots" in the wireless coverage area. 

However, it will be great if you go for same kind of adapters as well.......
MommaKay

[ Edited ]
I am an OLD iMac lover who needs to help out in an office where only PC’s live.

We have needed more office for a long time. But a poorly designed building means we cannot rent continuous space. However, thanks to cell phones and laptops we should be able to use NON-continuous space: That is, office space down the hall.

QUESTIONS: 1. Do I need WRT54GX4 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400- - Price Range: $64.99 - $179.99?

2. Would a Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT300N (Price Range: $84 - $150) be better? Or worse?

3. Do I need anything (besides wire) to install and use the thing? The current office has two PC's on network. Cable modem. Hardwired. The proposed new room about 200 ft down the hall will have one or two laptops.

Any help Much Appreciated. Kay

Message Edited by MommaKay on 04-06-2008 01:20 AM

Message Edited by MommaKay on 04-06-2008 01:25 AM
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
to nnz1204  --

If wireless does not work well for you, other options include:

1)  putting in a wired network
2)  putting in a wired network and adding WAPs  (wireless access points).   This allows you to get your wireless signal even to distant rooms.
3)  use PLE200 devices.  These devices allow you to use the electrical wiring in your office, instead of installing ethernet cable.  Optionally, the PLE200 can also be connected to a WAP. 

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 04-05-2008 01:38 AM