Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
johnblacksox

Wireless doesn't work, wired does...

[ Edited ]

I have Charter, cable modem, Linksys 4 port router with wireless.

A friend of mine configured my setup, so I could use secure wireless on a network called "HomeNetwork".  So I could simply plug in a wire, and instantly connect to the internet, or, I could choose "HomeNetwork" wireless connection and log in with a password. Everything worked great for years. 

Then, we lost power.  When it came back, wireless was not working.  I reset everything, numerous times, powered everything off, and back on.  

Now, the hardwired connection still works fine. When I'm connected that way, it says I'm connected to "HomeNetwork".

I can see a new entry in the available wireless connections, but instead of being called "HomeNetwork", it's just called "Linksys".  (And I know this is mine, not the neighbor's). Unlike "HomeNetwork", this "Linksys" connection is unsecured.

It allows me to connect to "linksys" with no password, and it says that I'm connected, no problem. 

But, when I try to access the internet, I can't.  

I know just enough to log into the router, and when I do, I see no mention of "HomeNetwork" anywhere, it's like it never existed.  Which is odd because my laptop still tells me I'm connected to "HomeNetwork". 

Any ideas on what happened, and how I correct this?  The router is obviously working, and I'm baffled why I can't get to the internet via an unsecured wireless connection, when the wired works no problem through the same router. 

Thanks!

beautifulbeatrice

Re: Wireless doesn't work, wired does...

For this, you can reset the router and start over. First, configure the router to work with your cable modem:

Setting up a Linksys router with Cable Internet service

Once internet is working, configure the router’s wireless settings:

Changing the Wireless Network’s Name (SSID) on a Linksys Router

Changing the wireless network password of your Linksys router

Setting up WEP, WPA or WPA2 Personal wireless security on a Linksys wireless router

johnblacksox

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply...

A couple questions:

- The internet is already working fine when wired, so I assume I can skip to the part about reconfiguring the wireless?

- Is it common for the router to lose its settings in a power outage?

- Just out of curiosity, why can I connect to the unsecured "linksys" wireless, but not get to the internet?  What is the router doing to prevent that, when the wired side works fine?

- Also out of curiosity, when hardwired to the router, why is my computer saying that I'm connected to "HomeNetwork", when that is no longer listed anywhere in the router setup?  The router setup says the name of the network is now "linksys", but somehow my computer still refers to it as "HomeNetwork".

beautifulbeatrice

-The internet is already working fine when wired, so I assume I can skip to the part about reconfiguring the wireless?

I see. Good. You can skip the part when you need to configure the router on the internet side.

- Is it common for the router to lose its settings in a power outage?

Sometimes, if the outage is too sudden, the routers wireless settings would be restored to factory default settings. My advice is to plug the router on a power surge protector.

- Just out of curiosity, why can I connect to the unsecured "linksys" wireless, but not get to the internet? What is the router doing to prevent that, when the wired side works fine?

Check the cables. If only one computer can go online, the router is being bypassed. You need to make sure the cable modem is connected to the “Internet” port of the Linksys router. If the physical connection is fine and still not working on wireless, then reconfigure/change the wireless settings. Change the name and security and try to connect again. Also, you need to remove preferred network on your computer before trying to connect again.

Removing wireless network profiles or preferred networks

-Also out of curiosity, when hardwired to the router, why is my computer saying that I'm connected to "HomeNetwork", when that is no longer listed anywhere in the router setup? The router setup says the name of the network is now "linksys", but somehow my computer still refers to it as "HomeNetwork".

This has nothing to do with the router anymore. This is on the computer’s registry. The computer still recognizes the wired connection as HomeNetwork because it is already saved on the computer memory. This one is referring to the wired connection. This should not be a problem.