Highlighted

Wireless firmware upgrade, fails to complete on router WRT610N

[ Edited ]

If by mistake I have attempted to upgrade the firmware  my router "WRT610N" via my wireless laptop and after 24 hours the same screen "upgrading router" continues displayed and the router does not respond, How do I fix this?

Re: Wireless firmware upgrade, fails to complete on router WRT610N

I believe the firmware file is still saved on your laptop. You can hardwire your laptop to the router, then access the router's setup page and perform a firmware upgrade. You may also try resetting the router before upgrading.

You may also need to perform a reset on the router after a successfull firmware upgade then reconfigure the router again.

---
If everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer..

You must never Upgrade a router's firmware wirelessly, a firmware upgrade must be performed on a computer connected to the router(ethernet)...Try to connect your Laptop to ethernet port 1 on the router and try to upgrade the firmware...Once you are done you must reset and re-configure the router...

You've basically "bricked" your router...that is, you've made it entirely unresponsive.  Try the 30-30-30 reset: using a pen, hold in the reset button for at least 30 seconds, THEN disconnect the power WHILE still holding the button for another 30 seconds, then reconnect the power and keep holding the button for 30 more seconds.  Yes, you have to hold it in for 90 seconds straight.  This will delete any configuration in the NVRAM, and if there is a bootable firmware image present, it should come up.  If this does not work, try the management upgrade:  Disconnect ALL cables from the router including power.  Reconnect power, wait 1 or 2 seconds, then hold the reset button for 5 seconds.  After doing this, reconnect your computer to the router LAN interface (doesn't matter what port), and you should be able to navigate to the router at 192.168.1.1.  You may have to manually set your computer's IP address to 192.168.1.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  Don't worry about the default gateway.  Make sure you have downloaded a good firmware image prior to this (connect your computer directly to your cable modem if you have to).  Once you're at the Management Upgrade page, you should be able to re flash the router.

As it has been said before, DO NOT attempt to flash router firmware using the wireless interface.  It is advised that you disable wireless entirely on the computer you're using to flash firmware.  Once the flash process is started, DO NOT unplug the router, the LAN cable, disable your Ethernet adapter, change your IP address manually, ANYTHING.

If you follow these instructions exactly, you should be able to recover your router. 

I have the same problem. I tried with both type of reset and I can not reach 610n with IE and IP address. I also try to add new firmware with fttp.exe - Unable to get response from the server.

What I van do?

I came across your write up of how to free up a bricked router.

I have a WRT160N v2 router that was having wired system connectivity problems.   Wireless connections were fine, but the wired system would not always open web pages.

I was using v2.0.02 firmware and saw that v2.0.03 was available.  When trying to upgrade the firmware (via the wired system) the computer failed to reconnect to the router (timeout error).

The router now has a flashing power LED ... indicating corrupted firmware.    I can't connect to it, I have tried the 30-30-30 reset as well as the management upgrade process recommended.   The wired computer I have tried connecting with it has been set with a static IP address of 192.168.1.50 ... DNS set to 192.168.1.1

Before I deem this device truely a brick and buy another (non-cisco this time), does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have the same issue.  Have tried repeatedly to reset the router as well by holding in the reset button for over 30 seconds with no luck.  Did you have any other thoughts on resolving this particular issue?

Tier 1 IP

I'm having the same problem, tried all the suggested avenues mentioned in this thread no luck. I'm thinking this firmware upgrade is some sort of ploy to destroy and brick this v2 wrt160n to force consumers to buy another newer one. I don't know if its true, but I feel so cheated. There's no reason this should be happening. I followed the firmware upgrade procedure to the letter.

Expert

Try this to unbrick your router.

I'm having the exact same problem as bdbakken and tried the 30-30-30 reset as well as the management upgrade and the router is still bricked... can some one please help me?