MMBunky

Wireless network not in range-WRT54G

I have just installed my wireless router today, and it won't let me connect my laptop to the network.  Every time I click on my network, it says that it may no longer be in range, and that I should refresh the list of available networks.  After I refresh the networks, my network comes up again, as it did the first time, with full bars.  I have tried setting my laptop right next to the router, but it still does not work.  I know that it is not my laptop, because I am able to connect to my neighbor's linksys router, which has less green bars than my own. Thanks for your help:smileyvery-happy:
helm

Re: Wireless network not in range-WRT54G

Reset the router for 40-50 seconds ....after reset check the firmware version of the router .....
reconfigure the router using different network name & see if it works ......
ewm

Make sure your router has a different SSID set. If both of you are using the default "linksys" SSID, you will have connectivity issues.
isles26

The same thing happened to me last night. It looks like someone hacked into my wireless network. I had it secured but i guess people will find a way to get in. No matter what i change my network name to, it tells me it's out of range or it will just hang on connecting. I have tried 2 different routers, and i get the same results. I called my ISP to see if they can do something with the modem just in case the hackers put something in my network. They told me to call my router company lol. I tried the last 2 ideas with the router reset and firmware upgrade. I can get on the internet hard wired into my router, just the wireless is the problem. Any ideas
MMBunky

yea, wired its fine, but wireless is the problem, and my name is different from the default, and I also have the latest firmware, because I bought it yesterday:smileytongue:, and it says its up to date, and when i tried to click on add this computer to the wireless network, I get to the part where itss like adding the stuff to the computer, but it says that it cannot make it, and I have tried it numerous times, but i guess this is just because I can't wirelessly connect:smileysad:
ewm

If the hardwire is working, then the problem is almost certainly the wireless configuration on your PC. Try these steps:

Reconnect your hardwire connection and open a command window (Start->Run->cmd.exe). Enter this command: ipconfig /all - just as written here. You should see entries on the screen for both your internal network card and your wireless card. Note what the IP address of your PC is and post it here. In fact if you can copy and paste the information into your reply on here, that might be helpful.

You should also recheck all the wireless settings on your PC. If you're using security, make absolutely certain the passphrase is exact. Capitalization makes a difference.

What you've described sounds like an authentication issue. Somewhere the router's security is not allowing the PC to authenticate.
helm

If one computer is already working fine & you are trying to add another computer to the connection .... open network connections ... go to wireless network connection properties ....

If under available wireless network .... it is showing home network .... try to connect to the same .... type the key & click connect....

See if it shows connected or not ...
isles26

The only pc's that can connect is the hardwire ones. The wireless pc's can't connect. It either will tell you your network is out of range or it will hang after you push connect when you put the key in. Thanks people for trying to help us. I still can't connect to it. I will try to research it more
helm

I think you should try upgrading / reflashing the router's firmware. After the firmware upgrade , reset and reconfigure the router..Check whether it makes any difference..
isles26

yesi tried re-flashing the firmware with no luck. I turned the log on the router and it looks like that my laptops that are trying to connect to the router are getting masked ip's and the router is blocking connection. Looks like denial of service, how can i get this out of my network?