Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jenneffer4

Wireless router with Guest Password capabilities?

Hi, I want to update my wireless router to a Linksys and need some insight.

I just need a Wireless G router - but I need to make sure that I can have a home password, meaning all the computers on my network will use the same password to access internet. BUT, I also need a GUEST password for those who visit my house for the day or week, etc. I don't want to have to change my main password each and every time, etc.

Do you know which Linksys routers will allow me to do this? I don't need a super fancy kind either.
I'm currently using a Belkin that allows me to do this.

Thank in advance.
saber_tooth

Re: Wireless router with Guest Password capabilities?

You can go for any G standard router .... like WRT54G or speed booster router .... WRT54GS ..... both routers are capable of providing wireless signals with good strength & quality .....

Regarding password ..... you can use wireless encryption key to make secure your router network from outsiders ...... this key works only with the specfic network...... once you configured the wireless computer according to the wireless settings on the router ..... it will go online wirelessly from your home network .....

One point to remember is that for one router you can only use one wireless network with only one key ..... it is not possible to use two kind of encryption levels or keys for home users & guests ......

You can connect your home computers using Ethernet cable to the router & use windows login password .......but that will make the network with all over cables in it ......

So configure the wireless setting using network authentication & use key to connect to network  & go online ....
no3
no3

You can just get any new Linksys wireless router that you like, and keep your old Belkin wireless router around.

Use your new Linksys wireless router as your primary access point. Then, disable DHCP on your Belkin wireless router and plug it into your Linksys wireless router by ethernet and use it like a switch and second wireless access point.

That way you can have your guests connect to your network via the Belkin with their own encryption key (ie. a guest account). And you can connect separately to the access point built into your new Linksys router. Just remember to set your Belkin to use a different wireless channel than the one your Linksys router is using.

Another advantage to this setup is that you will have increased wireless coverage in your home. You can put your Belkin wireless router at an opposite end of your house or closer to where your guests are staying.

And if you set both the Belkin and the Linksys to use the same SSID, I've heard that roaming is possible, much like how your cell phone works.
jenneffer4

no3 wrote:
You can just get any new Linksys wireless router that you like, and keep your old Belkin wireless router around.

Use your new Linksys wireless router as your primary access point. Then, disable DHCP on your Belkin wireless router and plug it into your Linksys wireless router by ethernet and use it like a switch and second wireless access point.

That way you can have your guests connect to your network via the Belkin with their own encryption key (ie. a guest account). And you can connect separately to the access point built into your new Linksys router. Just remember to set your Belkin to use a different wireless channel than the one your Linksys router is using.

Another advantage to this setup is that you will have increased wireless coverage in your home. You can put your Belkin wireless router at an opposite end of your house or closer to where your guests are staying.

And if you set both the Belkin and the Linksys to use the same SSID, I've heard that roaming is possible, much like how your cell phone works.

How do I setup that switch thingy or access point that you just said? I like that idea a lot! I've never connected 2 routers together. I need the better speed but the belkin I have just doesn't cut it but I definitely need the guest password feature.

Thanks for your help! =)