Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
raszeck
Accepted Solution

Xbox 360 slim will only connect to wireless-G interface on WRT160N

[ Edited ]

Hello there:

I purchased a new Xbox360 Slim about a month ago. Before that, in prevision of my new console's wireless capabilities I went ahead and changed my old WRT54G (1.1) for a wireless-N enabled WRT160N router.

When I first plugged the console in it was a nightmare to configure the wireless settings..... It would NOT connect, in any possible way... And when I finally made a connection it just dropped after aproximately 1 hour (I think it had something to do with WPA key renewal, if you must ask) I updated the firmware and everything was smooth again. BUT! it only connects on wireless-G.... I've got the router set on "Mix" so it accepts my notebooks 802.11-G and my 360 wireless N, but it just detects the router in G mode and connects that way....

I've tried EVERYTHING, but nothing works.

It connects just fine, I even get open NAT on the console, and play online with no apparent problems, but I need wireless N because the router and 360 are too separated, and the signal tends to get low. Also I usually stream 1080p content so I need more bandwidth.

I tried setting the router to "only wireless N" but then the console just won't connect, says it "can't connect to the wireless hardware"

I haven't been able to test other wireless-N hardware, so I don't really know if it's the router's fault, the console's or it's just they're not compatible...

Any tips?

dudztgp

Re: Xbox 360 slim will only connect to wireless-G interface on WRT160N

Try changing the Radio Band to "Wide-40Mhz Channel". Under Wide Channel, try and test each channel until you get your xbox connected. It's gonna be the primary wireless N channel. Under Standard Channel, select the channel that fixes the connection. It's gonna be the secondary wireless N channel. Everything is under Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings.
raszeck

[ Edited ]

Can't... My only two options are "automatic" or "only 20Mhz" ... :/ I can switch channels on 20Mhz only. But thanks for the tip.

EDIT:

OMG, I can't believe it..... It's NOT a wireless N malfunction.... it has to do with security..... I had WPA Personal as my authentification method.... Under Mixed works like a charm, and everything connects, but the Xbox just connects on wireless G. Under Wireless-N only, it just won't connect. But I tried disabling security, and it just connected on wireless N!

Now I've switched to WPA2 personal.... it connects perfectly on Wireless N even if I set the router to "Mixed" and both channel and radio band to auto.

My issue is solved, however, I still got to know is:

Why won't it connect while WPA is selected?

dudztgp

To isolate WPA from WPA2, try connecting a wireless device, perhaps a laptop, using WPA. If it connects, then it has to do something with the xbox wireless adapter or settings. Or maybe, incompatibility issues with the router and xbox.