dubina
Accepted Solution

bad router or bad adapter? How to tell?

I just ran some speedtests om my PC on the advice of my isp to see if my Linksys WRT54G router might be bad.  As a result, I found that the router might not be entirely bad, but it might not be entirely good, either.  I got .77 Mbps dowload and .17 Mbps upload on the first speedtest.  I got .43 Mbps download on the second speedtest and the speed test hung hear the end.   When I connected an IMac to the cable modem with an ethernet cable, the IMac ran strong.  

So the tech thought I should get a new router.

But wait a minute, isn't there a network adapter in the PC that the router talks to?  Might the adapter be the problem, not the router?  So I speedtested the wireless network to the IMac.  That speedtest was fine, tiptop, like the ethernet direct connection test noted above.  Did that tell me that the problem is in my PC network adapter, not the router?

Then, I retested (speedtested) the connection on the PC and it was fine...excellent.  Good up and down speeds, no hangs.

Then, I checked the PC adapter (a Belkin).  I saw three adapters on Device Manager, including the Belkin.  I downloaded new drivers for the adapters (except for the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Minipoty Adapter - because it got a warning that the download software wasn't signed and might harm my computer).  

So, I'm stumped.  I had a week or more of poor Internet connections, but now everything seems fine.   I will continue to monitor the situation and report adverse changes.

ScarletJamie

Re: bad router or bad adapter? How to tell?

If you think the WiFi adapter is the issue compare performance with another wireless device (ex. Ipad, Iphone). If your laptop with the wireless adapter is the only one slowing down then update the driver of the adapter to the latest version or try a different adapter. If everything on your network is affected, that’s a performance issue with the router. You can try changing channels, what about reconfiguring the router? Is it possible to move it up a floor? The last option is to update the router’s firmware, reset the router and reconfigure.

dubina

I upgraded two of three adapter drivers, including the Belkin.  When I bypassed the routerand plugged the modem directly into the IMac, my connection speed was excellent.  Strangely, after I reverted to the original wireless network setup, I was able to connect through the PC and the Imac equally well.  Upgrading the adapter drivers might have helped something, but hard to say what; I  did that after everything was working according to Hoyle.

Gremilns, maybe, I don't know. 

ScarletJamie

dubina wrote:

I upgraded two of three adapter drivers, including the Belkin.  When I bypassed the routerand plugged the modem directly into the IMac, my connection speed was excellent.  Strangely, after I reverted to the original wireless network setup, I was able to connect through the PC and the Imac equally well.  Upgrading the adapter drivers might have helped something, but hard to say what; I  did that after everything was working according to Hoyle.

Gremilns, maybe, I don't know. 

What about the router’s firmware? Did you check if it’s using the latest one? You might need to update the firmware of the router, reset the device & reconfigure. Since we all know it’s not an adapter issue.

dubina

How do I check / update router firmware?  Sounds vaguely physical.

ScarletJamie

Follow the instructions below on how to check for the current firmware version that your device is using. 

Checking the Linksys router’s firmware version

A firmware update contains encoded instructions to improve the performance, reliability and may contain fixes for your Linksys router Upgrading the Linksys router’s firmware

ChiefRA

Dubina, be aware that your router will not allow higher speeds than 54 mbps, even on LAN connection. It's the router processor which is too slow to work with greater speeds. Also, if you have LAN connected devices, the WiFi speeds will go slower than 54 mbps accordingly.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2568393112.png
dubina

@ ScarletJaime

I was trying to do the firmware upgrade, following your procedure(s).  Once again, the connection failed.

Error message:

“Internet Explorer cannot display the web page”

My reaction:  Run HP Assistant

HP Assistant findings:

"Destination not responding"

Automatic repairs performed

Purge the DNS Resolver cache

Reset your broadband modem and router

(In other words, "Power cycle your modem and router".)

Contact your ISP or network administrator

I will eventually get around to doing the firmware update.

@ ChiefRA

My connection speed is way less than 54 Mbps  I don't think that is part of my problem.

dubina

So, what was I doing when I got the error message?  Trying to look at the Linksys router page (192.168.1.1).

That "destination was not responding".

fresh19

Check the IP address on the computer; make sure you're getting something like 192.168.1.x. If the IP is correct, go to the run field then access the router from there; Start Menu < Run > type http://192.168.1.1 then click ok. You may also check out this link, http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=4c80fdfeea8e44b5a7d4d045fa0019ab_3671.xml&pid=80&r...