Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dubina

Re: bad router or bad adapter? How to tell?

@ fresh19

I talked to a guy 2,000 miles away, asked him to enter 192.168,1.1 for the Linksys page.  He couldn't get it either, same error message.  I assume that page is really not available for some reason.  Any ideas about finessing that?

thebluemamba_24

Consider resetting the router. In that way, the router will be reset back to factory defaults and from there you can start to reconfigure the router from scratch.

dubina

When I sit at the Mac, the wireless connection is snappy.  Not bad at the PC either, now.  I was advised to see if the router had new firmware, and if so, to get it.  Tried to open 192.168.1.1 and failed.  Friend in Texas far from here tried same IP address and failed the same.  I assume the linksys page is "down" for some reason.  I would think someone here could easily find that out one way or another.  

thebluemamba_24

Have you attempted to reset the router? Since you are having problems accessing the router’s ui, then it is advisable to reset the router. If in case that this step will not work then you can try the following:

•Assign a static ip address on the computer

•Disable firewall or anti virus on your computer

•Lower the speed of the computer’s NIC card to 10 half duplex

•Download the router’s firmware and the TFTP Utility (select version 4 to find the utility)

•Run the TFTP Utility and it will now ask you to enter the router’s ip address (192.168.1.1) and the location of the router’s firmware

•Use a windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 computer to do this

•If successful try to ping the router and if not then return the router and have it replaced.

dubina

bluemamba, something I do not understand....

If the Linksys page 192.168.1.1 is kaput (as it seems to be here and on a computer 2000 miles from here) how can I check the firmware version to download? 

Are you saying I should go through all that rigamarole to reset the router if things seem to be working (most of the time, including now) and I can't ascertain that I actually need to reset the router? 

I posted this when I had serious delay / freeze ups in my Internet connection.  Those problems went away (mostly) after I ran a cable directly from the modem to the Mac, then reconnected the router to the modem.  I didn't know what caused the problem at first, but an isp guy walked me through troubleshooting the connection, at least so far as cabling direct to the Mac and then reseting the nertwork.  I thought it might be good to update the router firmware...somebody suggested that...but I see no need for it, especially if 192.168.1.1 is down.  Can you verify that it's down?  

ScarletJamie

dubina wrote:

bluemamba, something I do not understand....

If the Linksys page 192.168.1.1 is kaput (as it seems to be here and on a computer 2000 miles from here) how can I check the firmware version to download? 

Are you saying I should go through all that rigamarole to reset the router if things seem to be working (most of the time, including now) and I can't ascertain that I actually need to reset the router? 

I posted this when I had serious delay / freeze ups in my Internet connection.  Those problems went away (mostly) after I ran a cable directly from the modem to the Mac, then reconnected the router to the modem.  I didn't know what caused the problem at first, but an isp guy walked me through troubleshooting the connection, at least so far as cabling direct to the Mac and then reseting the nertwork.  I thought it might be good to update the router firmware...somebody suggested that...but I see no need for it, especially if 192.168.1.1 is down.  Can you verify that it's down?  

"Those problems went away"

If it’s working fine right now, it’s not recommended to update the router’s firmware. However, if a router is performing sluggishly, freezing unexpectedly or experiencing dropped connections, firmware upgrade often supplies a quick fix.

dubina

"...firmware upgrade often supplies a quick fix."

I understand that part.

Can you tell me if you can look at 192.168.1.1?

Or, is it not available to you as it is not available to me?

handsomekianandken

dubina wrote:

"...firmware upgrade often supplies a quick fix."

I understand that part.

Can you tell me if you can look at 192.168.1.1?

Or, is it not available to you as it is not available to me?

Hi,

192.168.1.1 is the local IP address of your router. It means you can only access it locally. It would not be available for ScarletJamie to access.

dubina

hi handsome,

Thanks for that.

What does it mean to me that I cannot access 192.168.1.1 locally and a guy in Dallas cannot access it either?   (I have never before not been able to access 192.168.1.1 when I tried to do so.) 

How can I know my firmware version if I cannot access 192.168.1.1?

Is knowing my firmware version somehow immaterial to the job of resetting my router?

SuspendedFate

[ Edited ]

Let me re-state what was previously said, only someone on your network would ever be able to access the router's setup website, someone 2,000 miles away in Dallas would not be able to do so. (There are ways to, but through 192.168.1.1 it would not be possible.)

That aside, it's possible your router is not setup to use 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address, so let's try and find out what it is...

On your PC (Windows computer) click Start, then Programs(or All Programs),  then Accessories, and then "Command Prompt." This should open a Command Prompt window, in this window type in "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and then press enter.

Depending on your computer it may list several devices, try and find which one is the connection to your router (If you're connected through a wireless adapter it is likely that the name will have "Wireless LAN adapter" or "Wireless Network Connection" in it's name.)

Under that device should be a list of information, one of which is "Default Gateway," what is written next to this should be the local IP address you need to use to access your routers settings page.

This was also mentioned, in a way, in the link fresh19 posted.

You can alternatively follow the instructions from Linksys for how to find it on a Mac (There are also links on how to find it on different version of Windows at the bottom of the page if you find my description hard to follow.): http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=15794

Additionally to answer the question at the end of your post, you do not need to know the firmware version of your router to reset it; however, since everything is now working fine besides you not being able to access the settings page you may not want to bother resetting it.