Max460

e4200 Problems

I have put two different e4200 routers in my network and both of them have the same issue.  I believe there are some major firmware bugs with this router.  First of all I set up everything using the web interface.  My laptops could connect to the network and internet but any of my devices that use wireless bridges (WET610N) to connect could only get local network access.  They could not connect to the internet.  After some troubleshooting I found the reason it was not working properly.  I used DHCP reservations in my network because of port forwarding and such.  Well when the devices connected to the bridges were in the reservation list they were unable to connect to the internet.  After I removed them they now are able to get on the internet without a problem.  So that is the first problem I've found so far...

The second is I can no longer connect from my Xbox 360 to my Media Center PC.  I tried to set up a new connection but this did not work either.

So my question is are the engineers releasing a new Firmware update soon or will it be a while???

lonetrixter

Re: e4200 Problems

I've seen the exact same problem, the router will *NOT* route any packets to/from any address in the reserved list.  This is a pretty crippling bug for me as well.  I've even set up a client with a *static* ip, and it works fine, now editing the reservations and adding that same ip address to the reserved list (even though on the client its still static) and bam no wan connectivity to that device at all...

the second i drop it from the reserved list on the router (again, not touching anything on the statically assigned client itself) bam, full connectivity again

Max460

Thanks for the reply...  Yep...  Same exact senario here...  I like the router but think I may have to return it to my previous WRT610N because there are too many problems that I cannot live with.  My hope is that Cisco Engineering is looking at these posts and already has a new Firmware in the works...  It's been since November so it is due for an update...

jhiaugsygfjs

I can confirm that this problem still exists.

I've encountered it with both a Dlink DAP-1522 and DD-WRT based bridge.

I'm attempting to go through Cisco/Linksys support to see if they can get this addressed, but so far the process been unproductive.

lohengrin42

Has there been any traction on this issue? I have the same problem with a machine behind a DAP-1522. It is very frustrating since that machine is the only one on my network that I can really use a reserved IP address.

lordstag

Why not use static IP rather than reservation? Wouldn't that solve the problem? I use static Ip's for devices connected to a WES610n(4 port WET610) bridge and everything works fine.

lohengrin42

That sounds like a good idea. Now for the dumb follow up questions. Do I just set that up on the Windows machine? Is there any configuration to do on the router to make static IP addresses work? Can I mix static IP and DHCP on the same network?

lordstag

[ Edited ]

That is setup only on the machine. Nothing has to change on the router. It's basically just assuming it's ip address is what you set it to, rather than asking the router what it's ip address should be. You can have static and dhcp, doesn't matter. Just make sure the static ip is outside the range of the dhcp scope. So you won't have any conflicts. You don't want the router giving out an ip that has already been statically assigned.

lohengrin42

sometimes it's the simple things... Thank you, this worked like a charm! :-)

Bean54

My e4200 power light just blinks every second and will not connect. Have tried chat and live support and have had no assistance.