sshams95

e4200v2 cannot create storage share

Just bought router and installed.  I cannot create share in Storage settings in Advanced settings.  I hit Create Share and it brings up the dialog box where I enter the display name.  Share entire partition is checked already.  I save settings and I see the box going to the form where you assign the Group roles, but then the box disappears and closes.  All I see is the original Storage setting page with the Create Share button still there.

Can someone help?  I tried this on Win 7 using both IE8 and Chrome browsers.

pinballhack

Re: e4200v2 cannot create storage share

I had a similar problem. Unhooked the USB drive from the router, plugged it into the Windows machine. Formatted it as NTFS there, and unchecked Quick Format so it would cycle thru entire drive. Now recycle the router. After it is booted, plug the freshly formatted drive into router. Goto Storage tab in the admin menus. Should be there. You should be able to create a Share. Be sure to Save. I should point out, in another E4200v2 thread, I am having reboot/lockup issues with this router, and the reboots are more often if the USB drive is plugged in. (Still reboots if not plugged in, just less often.) Make sure your E4200v2 has the latest firmware, mine was out of date fresh out of the box.
sshams95

Ok, so I did a complete format of my ext. hard drive as NTFS.  Unplugged the router and plugged it back in.  Plugged in the ext HD.  Went to Storage, Create Share, put in the Display Name and Saved settings.  And it's doing the same exact thing.  Pulls up the groups screen and closes it automatically.

pinballhack

Ok, just did went thru the steps. Disclaimer, I am using Firefox, but that should not matter. Plugged in a freshly NTFS-formatted portable USB drive. Went to 192.168.1.1, logged in, and went to the storage tab. (So I am not using Cisco Connect software to do this.) It properly showed the USB drive connected. I clicked the Create Share button next to the drive. Up popped up a second window wanting Share information. In the Display name, I entered "Test" and for a New Folder, I entered "Testing". After entering that, I clicked the Create button. After a second, it showed the folder (along with a couple of pre-defined folders), and I didn't bother with Access. I clicked Save Settings, a screen said successful, then it dismissed the screen with the Access settings. I am now back at the Disk Management screen under Storage. Down below, it shows the Test folder in the list. If the above does not work for you, I would suspect three things: 1) your browser is messing with pop-ups; 2) you didn't click the Create button on the Shared Folder page; 3) Linksys has a bug. Hope this helps!
sshams95

Ok, got it figured out...I guess I was mapping the drive incorrectly in Windows...now it shows up.  Thanks for your help, pinballhack