Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
tjk2

finding security key or passphrase

My wife has a laptop that we want hooked up to the internet through our linksys wireless router.  But I cannot remember my security key or passphrase needed to get her on the connection.  How do I recover, or find, it?  Thanks for your help.
forsaken

Re: finding security key or passphrase

hi..you can go through this link to know the security key on the router...
MOyler

Help!  I am having "issues" with finding my network security key/passphrase on my G Router w/Speedbooster, and really don't want to have to reinstall it to figure it out - I did as suggested prior and went to the site - prob is that neither the WEP nor WPA show up with the key code - I am confused at this juncture....I have the Model WRT54GS - can you suggest anything else?  I am just trying to connect my wireless laptop to my router at home which is directly connected to my new desktop.  Thank you so very much.
HOTTY

the security key for linksys is           192.168.1.101

dearheart

need security key or passphase

troia

what is the model number of the router that you have?

for most linksys routers, first you need to access its setup page

open internet explorer, type http://192.168.1.1

when the login page appears, leave the username blank and type "admin" in the password

click on wireless security, that will show you the type of wireless security you have if its WEP, WPA or WPA2.

and from there it will give you the key that you need.

Expert
sabretooth

>the security key for linksys is           192.168.1.101

NO this is not a security key.  This is the IP of your computer.  Please refrain from posting if you are not sure about what you are saying.

You security key or paraphrase are located under your wireless tab settings in the routers admin pages.  Simple go tot 192.168.1.1 username blank, password 'admin' (or whatever you made it).  Select the wireless tab and check your security settings for you information.

Ashe81

Did you find the security key for your wife's laptop.  If so can you tell me how do you find.  Because I have laptop.

fosdot1

How can I find my security key.

Administrator
24JUAN80

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community.

Please refer to troia and sabretooth's post. Hard wire the router to your computer before doing so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------