Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
minimeme
Accepted Solution

hard reset e2000

ok, i'm studying up on how to install dd-wrt on this router for the simple reason of being able to monitor network usage due to caps being enforced by my isp.

i won't have access to the router for a couple days, so i have time to study the install, but how the heck do you do a hard reset with only 2 hands?!!

i mean, usually to reset anything, you have to stick a toothpick or straightened paper clip into a recessed hole and hold it. if i'm doing that, obviously both my hands are already occupied, so how do i then unplug unit AND pull the power plug?

thank you

Expert
sabretooth

Re: hard reset e2000

[ Edited ]

Who says you unplug it at the same time?  Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.  Release and wait 10 seconds.  Now power cycle the router.

minimeme

[ Edited ]

every link i've read says that!!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:

• With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
  • Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
  • Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)

now, i realize that i don't have dd-wrt already installed, but this seems like an impossibility with only 2 hands!

Expert
sabretooth

Well then I guess you can't do it.

minimeme

no,

i can't by myself, i'm not quite that talented, but does this really have to be done like this?

you said just hold reset button for 30 seconds. sure would make it a lot easier!!

no c'mon. i'm being serious here.  :smileyhappy:

minimeme

still searching for how to do this hard reset in a way that is actually possible to and now i've a couple results saying to do it lise this:

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable

almost the same way as my first post post except for the fact of NOT having to hold reset and unplug at the same time.

will this actually work?

sorry to be sounding as incompetent as i am, but don't want to risk the chance of bricking my router.

thank you

minimeme

sabretooth wrote:

Well then I guess you can't do it.

sheesh!

thanks for that help!  :smileysad:

minimeme

what? i can't get a simple yes or no as to which way of doing a hard reset is the correct way?

this way:

"Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.  Release and wait 10 seconds.  Now power cycle the router."

or the other, next to impossile way?

please and thank you!!

helpful1

The answer has already been given.  If you are that uncoordinated to do it yourself, hire a person to come and do it for you.

Geeesshhhh!!!  Have you read the manual???????

minimeme

helpful1 wrote:

The answer has already been given.  If you are that uncoordinated to do it yourself, hire a person to come and do it for you.

Geeesshhhh!!!  Have you read the manual???????

dang!

sure have some grumps on this forum, huh?

my question has nothing to do with being coordinated. as i stated, i do not have access to my router for a couple days, in other words, i'm not even home.

just got the router a few days ago, so no, i haven't read the manual or looked over every inch of the unit to know how it is designed, which is partially why i'm asking this question here.

if i'm to follow the directions from the dd-wrt wiki page, it says while still holding in reset button on back of unit, unplug unit. again, as i stated, most reset buttons are little pinhole things that basically take 2 hands to press and hold, so how can i unplug unit while doing that?

if it's a simple as "Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.  Release and wait 10 seconds.  Now power cycle the router." i can do that with only 2 hands!

so, if question has already been answered, simply tell me which of those 2 methods is correct? if it's as simple as sabretooth says, than the wiki is inaccurate and should be fixed!

thank you