Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
debbykauai

how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

My wireless connection works fine when it is not secure. My model router is sort of old and isn't supported by linksys. I had someone else set it up with a password, but someone must've hit the reset button as it no longer is working.  When I set the "passphrase" for the WEP in the setup for my router it says it is successful. When I to my network it asks for the password. It accepts it, but then I get a message that says there is limited or no connectivity.  I also get a message that there is no IP address. When I try to "repair" by right clicking the properties under the wireless connection, it says it Windows is renewing my IP address, but it fails, then the screen where you would normally see the IP address says Private Address IP 169.254.240.4 but it still is not connected.  When I drop the Mandatory WEP and go back to the non-secur connection it works fine. Any ideas?
Gollum

Re: how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

For connecting to network, you have to use WEP key 1, and not the passphrase. Rest you are doing correct.
debbykauai

Re: how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

Wow, I guess that makes sense, since I did did the setup by going from the laptop to the first slot.  Do I also run the ethernet cord from the modem to the 1st slot (which I assume is Key 1) or does it go from the modem to the WAN slot (which is where it is now for the non secure hookup) You can probably tell I'm a rank novice. So frustrating! I'm at a different computer right now. I think I remember I checked the mandatory box for WEP, the next screen asks for a password or a passphrase, then you click on another box right next to it that you click and it fills in all four Key boxes.  I don't have anything hooked up to these slots right now. I thought they were for networking printers or other non-wireless computers.  I want to keep this as simple as possible. Do you know if I can use the same thing for the passphrase and the WEP key 1?  Can I use my own number in the Key 1 box?  MAHALO NUI LOA!!!! You are a lifesaver!!
Aloha,
DebbyKauai
Gollum

Yes you can use your own wep key 1, but make sure in that case passphrase is empy, and key 2,3,4 as well are empty. and it can have 0-9, and A-F