debbykauai

how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

I have a bed & breakfast. I need to secure my wireless connection, but my router is no longer supported by Linksys. It was working fine, but someone hit the reset button I guess. I didn't set up the password originally. I have tried for 3 day to get it to work again. I assume you do it through choosing a mandatory WEP and choosing a password. I want to make the wireless connection secure so guests use their own computers.  I also have a laptop which they may use. The wireless connection worked fine before I changed the WEP info, but I get the message Limited or NO connectivity after changing it.  Change it to non-secure, works fine. Enter WEP and it stops working. It this the right place to choose a password?  The messages says the problem occured because of an invalid IP address. I try to "repair" and then Automatic Private Address IP 169.254.240.4. I have another message posted today too. Not sure if it was clear, so trying again. MAHALO FOR ANY HELP!!!
kalatera

Re: how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

Chances are, you typed the WEP key incorrectly.

Try to disconnect and reconnect and make sure you type the correct WEP key. It should be ten characters long. You can verify that by going into the setup page of the router.
helm

Re: how do I password protect wireless access point router model BEFW11S4 ver. 2?

Make sure you note WEP key 1, from router's setup page, and use that to connect to your network.
debbykauai

I was using the passphrase instead of the key 1 for the password.  Do you know if I can change the automatic Key provided to something a bit easier to remember?  Can it be the same as the passphrase? Thank you so much!!