belindag

how far apart?

I have a Linksys N ultra range plus wireless N Broadband router, we have DSL internet with verizon. so i also have the verizon westel modem, since the phone plug. so i have them both wired up.  Do I need to keep them so far apart? i had heard so many feet, but then heard it did not matter?

also problem I am having, is we have a laptop trying to catch the signal, but its very faint signal and not consistent. I also go the  Linksys Wireless N usb network adapter with dual band, Ultra Rangeplus, I got this for the laptop to help pick up the signal, i was going off the recommendation from the Geek, so i had the modem and router less then a foot apart, and wondered if thats why the laptop can't get a good signal.  Any help is apprectiated!!!!!!!

Marvie100

Re: how far apart?

There is no reason to seperate your Westell Modem from your Linksys Router by any amount of distance.  The Westell Modem is not broadcasting any wireless signals which could interfere with your router.  I wouldn't stack them one on top of another, however just for electro-magnetic interference reasons.

gandalf

Re: how far apart?

Its not necessary to keep your router and modem away from each other, you can keep them connected to each other in a same location that will not make any problems.

As far as the wireless connection is concern, i think you need to change the wireless settings of your Router, Follow the steps below to change the wireless settings on your router.

Login to the setup page of your Router and click on teh Wireless tab and below - Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...

Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...

Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings

Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...