Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
waves393

http://192.168.1.1 and setting up SSID and WPA Personal Key

I just bought the Linksys router model# wrt54G version 8.0. For some reason I am unable to access the web-based utility when I type in the router's IP address when opening a new browser, (this is after completing the setup). Right now, my router is hooked up, and my laptop can access my network that I created from my desktop computer. I'm just confused because I thought that you had to set up the SSID  and WPA personal key through the Web-Based Utility once you type in the router's IP address. Instead, I actually was able to create the SSID and WPA personal key during the actual set up/CD ROM disk. My questions are

1) Was I correct in obtaining my SSID and WPA through the actual setup process and not the Web-Based Utility?

2). When I go to find my network from my laptop I can my network (SSID) that I created and that it says "Secure network" before I even log into it. When I log into my network using my WPS persoanl key the status says "Connected." How can I really be sure that my network is secure??

3.) The cisco logo is still orange after completing the setup and after connecting to my network once I sign in using my WPA personal key.  Isn't is supposed to change to white and stay white once you complete the set up? I did push the button when I was prompted to and it did flash white for a minute or two and then stay white, but after I completed the setup, it's orange again??

4.) Why can't I access the Web-Based Utility when I type in the router's IP address? I keep getting "Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage." Do I have to turn off my firewall? Do I have to reset my router?

5.) Also, what are the reasons for having to reset the router? I feel like maybe I should reset it because I had  to do the setup so many times.

Please help!!! Thanks!!!
toomanydonuts

Re: http://192.168.1.1 and setting up SSID and WPA Personal Key

[ Edited ]
1)  You can setup the SSID and wireless security either using the Linksys setup utility program, or by accessing the router's setup web pages at 192.168.1.1    Note that although this is called a "web page", it is not actually on the Web, it is built into the router.   So you do not need an Internet connection to get to the router's "web page".

2)  I am not sure your system really is secure.  The Cisco logo should be white.  To check your security, you will need to login to your router at 192.168.1.1    Then go to the "Wireless" (or "Wireless Security" )  tab and look around to see what encryption method (if any) is being used, and see what the password (if any) is.

3) I assume you have a WRT54GS router, is that correct?   If so, the orange Cisco logo means the router is not secured.

4) See instructions below for how to view your router's web page.

5)  The router must be reset to factory defaults after a firmware upgrade.   If the router cannot be accessed for some reason (router locks up, forgot password) or if it just won't work right, despite your best efforts to fix it, then you would need to reset it to factory defaults.  However, before deciding that the "router just won't work right" you should try other ways to recover the router, such as going to the router's web pages and trying to determine the cause for your problem.

To view the router's web pages:

Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall. Note that some Zone Alarm users have had to uninstall the firewall to get it turned off.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If you need more help, please state the model of your router.  Also describe exactly what happens when you try to go to your router's web pages.  Do you get a login screen that asks for a user name and password?  Does it accept your user name and password?  Do you see a web page but lots of information is missing?  Also state what encryption method you are using.  Does your computer have a Linksys wireless card that does SES (if so, state model), or did you need to setup your wireless card manually?

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 06-26-2007 01:57 PM
waves393

Good news. . . I was able to get into the Web-Based Utiliy. I went to Accessories and to Command Prompt and typed in ipconfig and obtained my routers IP address. Then I turned off my firewall and I was finally able to access it. However, the light on the Cisco button is still orange, but my laptop is telling me that I am on a secured network?? so I dunno. But so far, everthing is running smoothly (knock on wood). I'll have to play around with it some more. I have one more question. How often do I need to upgrade firmware?
toomanydonuts

To determine if your network is secure, you need to look at the web pages inside the router.  Your computer may or may not be correct when it says your network is secure.   Your orange Cisco light implies that it is not secure.

Firmware upgrades are posted from time to time on the Linksys website.

The only times that you need to upgrade firmware is:
1)  when a router security issue is fixed, or
2)  when a new feature it added to the router that you want to use, or
3)  when router is not working, and all other attempts to fix it have failed

So, if your router is working properly, and there are no security fixes, and nothing new in the firmware that you need, then you do not need to upgrade the firmware, and you probably should not do it.

I always look at the firmware "version info" to determine if I want to upgrade to a new firmware.
HM917

1) WRT54G v8 is the newest firmware.  There are no updates.

2) I am not a fan of the Linksys push button auto-security.  So I did not use the CD nor did I push the button.  There is just something rather eery about a computer doing something without telling you exactly what it is doing (Vista is grounded quite often at my house in the corner of the basement for behaving like this).  I would suggest referring to the manual to reset the router to factory settings (deleting all information on the router), plugging in a computer to the router, and manually configuring the system settings using the WEBIF (web interface).  After doing the reset you should be able to access the WEBIF using 192.168.1.1 .

Use MAC filtering and WPA2, shut off the SSID broadcast, and disable the UPNP feature if you are running vista or planning on doing so in the future (at least until the UPNP system in vista becomes more stable).

If you need help doing any of this let me know.