iamnia

i can't access my router

when i use 192.168.1.1 i cannot access the router. when i run ipconfig the default gateway does not show this address as being the router's address. when i use the address the ipconfig shows, i can't get into the router with that address either. when i try to reset the router, nothing changes, nothing seems to reset. is there another way to get into the router and reset it? i know my router needs firmware but i can't even get into the router to even attempt to get the firmware. please HELP!!!
starex2342

Re: i can't access my router

hi.

what's the ip address that you're getting?

try to restart pc & unplug rtr for 30 secs. & check for ip afterwards.
iamnia

im getting 67.163.184.1 i restarted the comp and rtr and modem many times. unplugged it all. plugged it all back in. held the router's reset buttom for 1 minute. reset the modem. release and renewed my the ip address... and nothing is working. called linksys, called my ISP, and search in and out of all the forums i could find, nothing is working.
Gandalf-kid

Use a patch cable and connect directly to your PC
iamnia

i have been. wireless entry into my router has even been an option. that's why i need to get in there and get that firmware on the router. my router isn't broadcasting wirelessly anymore. i moved to a different state and the ISP's modem and my router won't work together unless i get this firmware on the router. i've even tried to not include the modem in the process of getting into the router. i've tried to ping the router with both ip addresses (the default and the given) and i keep getting timed out. i have two laptops and i've tried all the options from both of them and all i get is a big bunch of NOTHING! i don't believe it's the router that's gone bad. i think it would work fine if i could get into it and load the firmware. but sadly this router is getting the best of me...
maui29111

make sure that your computer us connected directly into the router and not to the modem coz it seems that you're getting a public ip address and i believe that modems are supposed to give out a public ip address. or check if your desktop is assigned with a static ip...
peanuts

Hi iamnia .... as you are getting public Ip from router on the computer .... Disconnect the Mode from the router .... Hold the reset button for few seconds .... while holding the reset unplug the power cable ... wait for few morw seconds ... plug back the power & release the reset ... Check the Ip address on the computer ... make sure you are not using any static Ip under Local Area Connection ... If the same Ip comes ... use any other computer ... If still the Ip address remins the same .... might be possible the NAT of router is crashed ..
iamnia

hello peanuts, well, the ip address remained the same. i thank you for the new info, your suggestion is one i had yet to come up with. i haven't been using a static ip... so i think im throwing in the towel.