Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Zian

is the Nintendo DS compatible with my router?....

i just saw a commercial on TV a few days ago. it was saying that the DS can be connected to some wireless routers.... so i went to the site they had they did not say to much about it, or to really go about connecting it... and since the Nintendo site is close to impossible to post on and get a good answer i thought i would come here to ask the question. my router is WRT54G series i just want to know if my DS can connect to it using the wireless feature or not thank you all in advance for your posts and the time you took to read my post
MontanaXVI

Re: is the Nintendo DS compatible with my router?....

The DS is compatible, however, you have to use WEP security, and WEP only. It is an older standard of wireless security and by far less secure than the newer more secure WPA standard. It is a pain to always switch your wireless security back and forth and many people want nothing to do with WEP at all, so your best bet is to buy a USB network adapter made for your DS that Nintendo sells. You should be able to buy it at any game store or Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's etc etc. It is called the Nintendo WIFI USB connector. runs about $20-$40 depending on if you can find one used or not.
Zian

i went to the nintendo site right after i posted this to look up more info. about the wi-fi feature and it says that you can connect my router with the DS it did not say i have to change the security though.... thank you for your post but i am pretty sure i would not have to change my security in order to just connect a DS.... but i do have to change some of my routers setting in order to do so... >_ i am working on getting it all connected right now i will post back if i can get it to work or not also i would prefer not to have to buy another USB port item >_ i got all my USB ports being used as is.... and adding another to the whole mess would not be to good i all ready have to switch between things on my USB ports in order to print lol BTW i got 6 USB slots 2 in front and 4 in back =D
MontanaXVI

Trust me, if your router is configured to use WPA you will NOT be able to get your DS online, it does not support WPA.

You will either have to change your wireless security to WEP if it is not already set to WEP.

I won't get into the debate on if WEP is secure or not, since it obviously used to be the standard, however the tools are readily available to gain access to someone's system by breaking the security. WPA is way more secure than WEP and should be your choice of security for your wireless network.

I am/was in the same boat as you and had no other choice than to go buy the USB adapter.
Zian

ok... but how do i go about changing my security to WEP?.... because i am not to afraid of my neighbors breaking into my computer system cause i live in a small town where not many people know much tech things.... so if you could please explain to me how to switch my router to WEP security i would very much appreciate it, One last thing why on the Nintendo site do they make it sound possible to get online with a Nintendo DS with my series of router? don't they test this stuff before just saying you can do some thing even though you can't?... if you want to know where i found this info. look here at this site http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/routers/Linksys/WRT54G/index.jsp if any one else has any more to say about this subject please feel free to post i am still looking into this WEP method of getting my DS online i would prefer to not have to change my security to WEP so if you got an alternative method other then buying the DS USB port adapter or changing my security to WEP i would like to know!
Zian

NVM about that i found a little more "side info." that they did not say >_ i hate them sort of.... yea they said it is only compatible with WEP... i am in a rush now so i don't got time to try out the way to change my system from WPA to WEP but i will try it later thank you for your posts and help, but like i said in my previous post it does not really matter what security setting i use cause i live in a small town =D
MontanaXVI

When you enter your routers web based setup page at the 192.168.1.1 addy you will then need to go into your wireless security tab.

I believe there is where you can select either WEP or WPA/2 security for your wireless network.

I apologize in advance if it is not under that exact tab, but it will be either there, or on the main wireless settings tab, I am not at my home computer right now to access and give you exact information.

Like I said earlier I am in the exact same situation as you, but I had to go out and buy the USB Wifi adapter to use my DS. I don't know if I read it on here or somewhere else that someone hooked up another router and had it use WEP with static ip addy's from the DS to let it go online, while still keeping his network using the WPA security (my personal thoughts, unless you have the extra router, it is cheaper to buy the USB dongle)
Zian

ok i finally got home and looked my info. up on my router turns out i am not even using WPA or WEP LOL! it is on disabled >_> but yea nintendo is sort of vage on insructions and then as like a little side note they have is saying stuff about how WPA is not compatable with the DS and you need to switch it to WEP...

i got it all squared away now thanks very much for all your help and info. =D
Zian

i finally got a game that uses WI-FI on the DS it is pokemon diamond do you got pearl or diamond?.... and if u do could i please have your WI-FI numbers so i can battle you? thank you very much for revisiting my old post
MontanaXVI

I have Diamond and Pearl. I have not played either of them in quite a while, I am having a lot of problems with my router right now as far as my wireless and wired connections just dying on me for no reason. I will check into the code and let you know if/when I will get on to play.