Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
spazz123

is wireless n backwards compatible with g?

i just replaced my old wireless g router that ive had for a few years, it finally gave out and was not sending out a signal. i went to best buy and had to choose between the wireless g router with rangeplus or a wireless N which supposedly sends out a much stronger signal. The N- router was on sale for the same price and the guy workin told me he would take the N. I need to know if it works with g adapters and if so does it hinder how well the computer recieves the signal. i have 2 laptops hooked up to the network and although they work they seem to be running slower than they used to. I also see the lag when i play my online games which when my old router was working never happened. Thats just a few things i would like to clear up thanks for the help
oook

Re: is wireless n backwards compatible with g?

Whats the Model number of your Router?

Yes the N series routers are backward compatible with G series adapter. it works perfectly fine.You can make this changes on your Router and this will solve all your Issue. 

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuratioon...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on save settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select AES...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation...
Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...