josh101689

linksys WRT54G wireless router not connecting to internet

hi. i just bought the lynksys WRT54G wireless router to be able to play xbox live on my xbox 360. i went through the basic steps when i put in the installation cd and i got all the way up to the " Checking Computer Cettings " thing. after that it goes into " Connecting to Internet " which at 9% through it pauses and then continues to 100%. right after that it say that it could not connect to the internet. it also says to press the ON/OFF button on the back of my Westell model 6100 router and retry. i have done that alot of times. and i even shut down everything and started over but it still wont work. i know there is probably a thousand different ways this could be happening but if anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. i have verizon DSL if that helps any. please help i would like to play xbox live soon. thanks.

christian3152

Re: linksys WRT54G wireless router not connecting to internet

try this
1. connect the modem's ethernet port to the internet port of your WRT54G router
2. connect the pc to the regular port 1 2 3 or 4 on the back of your router
3. turn off the modem, hold the routers reset button for 30 seconds then release it
4. restart the computer
5. access the routers setup page by opening internet explorer, then type - http://192.168.1.1
6. once youre prompted with a login, leave username blank password "admin"
7. go to MAC ADDRESS CLONE tab, enable this option, click CLONE YOUR PC'S MAC, then save settings
8. go back to setup tab, make sure internet connection type is set to - Automatic Configuration - DHCP 
9. change the part where it says LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1
10.power off the router, then the computer for 1 minute
11. power on the modem first, then the router, lastly the computer (make sure you have the lights stable on the device before turning ON the next one...
12. try to get online after that
josh101689

ok. i will try that when i get home from work. but if it doesnt work can u tell me a way to put everything back to normal so the internet still works and my mom doesnt kill me. thanks.
christian3152

of course!!!! dont worry  :smileytongue:
berimu

christian3152

I had the same problem but a different router.
Tried your solution and it works :smileyhappy:
Why is it that I can not read this in the manuals?
THANKS
christian3152

your welcome and enjoy
Self_Done

I would like to thank you as well. Last night a storm rolled through and bounced all of my equipment. I re-set everything rather than hang on the line with tech support for an hour or more. Got the modem talking with my PC again and looked up this article, and others. When I first installed my WRT54GS Bellsouth "helped" bridge the modem, not something I wanted but it worked and I never went back to correctly configure. Now I had a chance to explore a better solution. In half the time, I cloned the MAC from my PC and was up and running with no fuss. A much better solution as I can see my modem diagnostics again and the router. 
gerlacse

Same problem.  I'm going to try what was suggested tonight and hope for the best.  I've already spent 5 hours on this, and I'm about at the end of my rope!
tolant

What should you do if you can not login?

I can get to the login screen.  I have left the username blank and typed in the password: admin
Nothing happens l just get the logon screen again??
any ideas??
gerlacse

Christian3152....You are the BOMB!  I tried what you suggested and it WORKED!  I spent 5 hours trying everything I could think of to get this router and modem talking without any luck...and I'm an IT professional mind you.  Using your instructions took about 5 minutes and I was done.  I printed off Linksys's manual for the WRT54G, which was about a zillion pages, and it did me no good.  Why can't they have your instructions in there?!
Thank You Thank You Thank You.