Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
marckopollo

linksys ac1750 ea6500 range problem

I live in a small apartment building, (6 units) and I am having trouble with my linksys ac1750 ea6500's range.  I share internet with a couple on the first floor, I am on the 3rd floor.  The actual space between us is not far at all.  I had a lynksys 4500 prior to a blizzard which blew that particular router.  I shared a flawless internet connection with the couple on the first floor for a year with that router.  The storm caused me to purchase another router, and I went with the Ac1750 EA 6500, seemingly a considerable upgrade in all categories. The couple on the first floor are getting a very weak signal and the internet cuts in and out frequently.  I have since bought a new modem and upgraded my internet speeds with my internet provider.  None of these things worked, leading me to believe our problems are the result of this router.  It is advertised to have an unmatched range amongst its competition, yet I have had nothing but headaches with it.  Is this a common issue with this router? Is the technology it boasts flawed? 

highspeedneed769

Re: linksys ac1750 ea6500 range problem

Unfortunately the EA-6500 has many bugs and issues that Cisco dont seem to want to address poor wireless range is just one of them. if you read here around the forum you will see there are many others. If you can return it for a full refund that probly is your best bet. Good Luck !

hillary681

[ Edited ]

Your EA6500 might not be properly configured as it is not working as expected. Begin by doing a firmware upgrade. It is recommended that the software for the device is up to date. You may get the latest version from the EA6500 Support Page. Minor bugs causing this type of performance flaw may be easily resolved by the upgrade. Remember to reset and reconfigure the router once the upgrade is complete.

Since the connections are primarily wireless, you need to optimize your wireless settings. Name your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks differently to set these two networks apart. Set a specific channel for the 2.4GHz network to make this connection more reliable. You may use a tool like the inSSIDer to figure out which channel is less crowded. This should help address wireless interference issues.

As for the new AC technology this router has, you have to note that you can only get these speeds if you have an AC receiver on your PC. If your laptop has the usual N built- in adapter, you can get an AC adapter like the AE6000 or an AC media connector like the WUMC710 instead.

marckopollo

hilary,

I have done every possible tweak imaginable with channels, media prioritization on and off etc.  The firmware is up to date, and I have split the 2.5 and the 5 into two different networks.  My internet is fine, but the couple on the first floor have issues. The far less powerful router we used in the past seems to have been far more effective.  

highspeedneed769

marckopollo Is not wrong i have tried the 6500 as well and my signals tanked as well. Look people dont buy routers to sit around every day and play with them to get them to work right that is just stupid. People want a good stable router they can configure and not worrie about the 6500 does not fit that bill period .....

hillary681

marckopollo wrote:

hilary,

I have done every possible tweak imaginable with channels, media prioritization on and off etc.  The firmware is up to date, and I have split the 2.5 and the 5 into two different networks.  My internet is fine, but the couple on the first floor have issues. The far less powerful router we used in the past seems to have been far more effective.  

If that's the case, you can suggest that they get a driver update for their wireless device's wifi adapter. This will get the wireless piece on their device to improve its functionality. You can also throw in another device into the setup. Check out RE2000. This should help address any signal issues the couple on the first floor is having. The quality of the wireless connection should also improve as the connection will be more stable and reliable.

marckopollo

Hilary, I don't think a driver update would work considering every device they attempt to use has the same issue.  I get a terribly weak signal from my Iphone when I'm down there as well.  I wouldn't be so convinced that the ac1750router is the problem had we not experienced a flawless connection using our previous router. 

luce.evening.star

You might want to check this link I found from the Linksys KB site: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=b091c0a4aa354a429b5f6c7bcef0975d_801.xml&pid=94&re.... It is possible that it is really a hardware problem. If you still can have the router replaced from where you purchased it then do so. You might want to call tech support as well.

kay_yes

I have the same problem. My old wireless router is working fine and has very good range but I got the EA6500 for guest network and builtin gigabit switch. I was hoping I would get better range but the range and reliability of this router is much less than my old TPLink access point! I bought it at COSTCO, and I plan to return it ASAP!

Expert
chadster766

TPLink routers are typically only 2.4ghz only which has a much farther range then the 5ghz frequency. I recommend disabling the 5hgz wireless if you are having range issues.

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support